lets start paying some attention to the old miss game...bama is history

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerLifer3, Nov 19, 2002.

1. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

come on folks, lets start concentrating on old miss...bama is history and concentrating on their probation is getting old....We better worry about Eli Manning and their team or we will get beat again....but we still need our bama friends to beat allbarn this saturday...if both allbarn and arkansas lose again this weekend they are all but eliminated from SEC contention...but that depends on one LSU win against either old miss or arkansas...LSU only has 2 SEC losses...both allbarn and arkansas has 3...arkansas who struggled with ULL will have to play Miss. St. and of course allbarn has to play bama...both have a good chance to lose...if LSU should win that night and both teams lose LSU will go to Atlanta to play in the SEC championship against Georgia...no matter what we do against arkansas....if allbarn losses and Arkansas wins....LSU will have to beat Arkansas next weekend to go to the SEC championship game...The best case is if LSU beats old miss, and both miss st. and bama win this coming weekend....if it comes to pass LSU and Georgia in the Georgia Dome for the SEC championship

2. r_bear42

r_bear42 Founding Member

I agree. Enough already. The Tigers have enough to worry about with ole miss this weekend. The Bama game is history and who gives a damn about their coach. Much improvement must be made if the Tigers expect to contend for the SEC Championship again this year. I believe the Tigers can win this weekend but, this ball club has been decimated by injuries and other problems. This is not the same ball club that played the first 6 games of the season. The defence needs to step up big this Saturday night. It all starts behind the center though and that play has to improve if LSU is to again contend for the SEC Championship.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

On to Ole Miss!

Well, Eli lit us up last year, but I hear he's not looking so good this year. What's the reason? Poor receivers? Poor coaching? Unreported injury? Just having a bad year? There has got to be a reason. Who follows these guys closer than me? Got any answers?

As far as our QB, I think we have to stay with Randall and get into a running game featuring the option mixed with the counter and the draw with a few safe pass plays. The guy can run. I think we'll see some of Clausen or Harrison early if we get behind. I don't have confidence that they can throw either or we would have seen them by now. But Randall's had his shot as a passer and has been found wanting.

4. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, and maybe I have temporary amnesia about the events of last Saturday night, but I am still confident that this coaching staff can turn things around and win these next two games. Here are some thoughts.

Regarding Ole Miss, I understand that their strengths are their passing game (obviously) and their pass defense (at least as compared to their rushing defense). Well, our strengths are our pass defense (the rushing D has been pretty exposed lately) and our running game (should I even comment on the passing game?). Our strengths match well with their weaknesses. If we can effectively limit Eli's production and stop the draw play which they will probably use, we should fair well on the defensive side of the ball. On offense, if we can confuse them somewhat and counteract their putting 8 or 9 in the box, I think we'll be able to move the ball on them. Our offensive line needs to prove to themselves, to Ole Miss and to LSU fans that they are much better than what they showed on Saturday night. This is a talented bunch, and I look for them to respond well. If Jimbo can come up with a creative game plan to play to Marcus's strengths and to keep the Ole Miss D off balance so that we can run the ball effectively, I think we can win a relatively low scoring game.

This game will be a huge test for both the team and the coaching staff. If the staff can get the players to forget about last week, to focus on Ole Miss and to test their pride, LSU can win the game. Lose the confidence of the players, though, and I'm afraid the slide has just begun. Saban & Co. will earn their salaries if they can turn this ship around. All is certainly not lost.

5. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

I say we line up in the wishbone................and I'm not kidding!

6. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

I think you are exactly right in the strengths vs weakness. Run the ball and run some more. And on defense rush Eli, we rattled him and he was ineffective. Keep him running around back there screaming like a girl. I think last week was a wake up call and LSU comes out and really pounds the Rebs.