let's talk hot dogs......

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by snorton938, Apr 3, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

here's a simple and good recipe:

take some refrigerated uncooked type biscuits like pilsbury
    separate the halves
    cut hot dogs in half or in thirds
    wrap hot dogs in bacon (can cut bacon strips in half)
    toothpick together (one in front and one in back thru each biscuit half)
    cook according to biscuit directions (or longer if not done)
    with 3-5 minutes remaining before done....sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top
    have some cooked prepared chili handy.....red beans + groundbeef + onions + crushed tomatoes + chili powder
    when done, take the cooked hot dogs out of the oven.....coat with the chili and some chopped fresh onions and go ahead and make a mess......it's goooood.

2. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

Where ya at?

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Not tonight dear. I have a headache.

4. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

ways to top off a hot dog:

Hot Dog Style Glossary
    Chicago dogs yellow mustard, dark green relish, chopped raw onions, tomato slices, celery salt and a poppy seed bun
    Kansas City dogs sauerkraut and melted Swiss cheese on a sesame seed bun
    New York City dogs steamed onions and pale yellow mustard sauce
    Coney Island dogs topped with a spicy meat mixture
    Southern slaw dogs with coleslaw
    Corn dogs placed on a stick, dipped in corn bread batter and deep-fried
    Tex-Mex dogs salsa, Monterey Jack cheese and chopped jalapenos
    Pigs in a Blanket wrapped in pastry and baked
    Baltimore Frizzled split and deep-fried
    Lillies short for Lilliputians (from the Jonathan Swift novel Gulliver's Travels), these are about half the size of one's thumb, also commonly called cocktail-size, usually served as an appetizer in a sauce

5. Vincent4Heisman

Vincent4Heisman Freshman

Best way I know to have a hot dog is to make a huge pot of chili (be it hormel or home made, I prefer home made) eat that Friday night. Then on Saturday, before the football games start, get a couple of packs of hot dogs throw them in the chili and heat it up. Chop up a couple of onions and shred some cheese. When the chili and the dogs are hot enough, yank a dog out and put it in the bun, put some onions on top of that then put some chili on. Top with the shredded cheese.

Get a lot of paper towels and a couple of beers and you've got a killer, easy game time meal.

6. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

A good hot dog is one of God's great creations. Of all the styles listed above, I prefer a good ol' Southern slaw dog with chili too. But I will eat them almost any old way except with sauerkraut. No no no no no no no NEVER will fermented cabbage pass these lips. Ecch!

For store-bought brands, my favorite is Nathan's. I even prefer them to Hebrew Nationals.

This might go under the "Eating Contest" thread, but back in the 70s I witnessed a classic. I was in a Tulane fraternity house after a regional convention party, back in the kitchen talking with a few guys. There was a big pot of boiled hot dogs on the stove. A guy from Nicholls State (this might be hard to believe, but he was drunk) was just shooting the bull and about every 20 seconds he would reach in the pot, pull out a hot dog and eat it. Three bites each and no chewing. I was keeping count and after a while I said, "You realize you've just eaten 25 hot dogs." When the truth sunk in, he lurched out the back door and into some shrubbery. Hell, he might still be there.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Three kinds of hot dog for Red.

1. Chilli Dog -- thick red chilli and chopped white onions. No cheese, no mustard.

2. Ballpark Dog -- Yellow mustard and sweet pickle relish

3. Kraut Dog -- Brown mustard and hot sauerkraut

"Nobody, I mean nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog" -- Inspector Harry Calahan

8. jbizzel

jbizzel Freshman

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

9. Uncle Gus

Uncle Gus Founding Member

the best dogs are Vienna Beef "Chicago Style Natural Casing"

f'ing stellar with Kraut, a bit od sweet pickle rellish, ketchup, and yellow mustard......

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

In the Cheaspeake Bay area they serve something called a "Half-smoke", which is a cross between a wiener and a smoked sausage. They usually serve them like hot dogs. But I had one that was baked up in a "pig-in-a-blanket" once and it was pretty damned good.

Never seen them sold around here.