Lets talk Saturday

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUGOLFER, Feb 23, 2006.

1. kcal

kcal Founding Member

The news here in UK country is that Orlando Tubby Smith has the wheels back on with a revamped lineup featuring starters based on who worked the hardest in practice. The real problem the Tigers face is twofold: 1. UK depth vs LSU. UK had 11 players with over 10 min. of PT against Ole Pi$$ and no one played over 23 min. (although this was against a team who has lost 9 of 10 and only shot 22% from the floor, with their best player out.) Perhaps the x-factors in this game will be Lazare and Rolle.
    2. LSU reaction to UK's defense. UK seemingly (in the last 3 games)has bought into Tubby's trademark: defense. TO's will kill the Tigers if not brought under control.
    Having said that, this UK team is not a vintage UK squad. UK has lost 3 SEC games at home, the most ever at Rupp Arena. This UK team had only 1 double digit win at Rupp this year prior to last night, a 12 point win over Louisville 12-17-05. Also, if UK fails to win it's last 3 games, they will have failed to beat an opponent with a .500 record in the SEC. The key to this game is LSU getting up early and taking away the heart of UK. Tubby will force it inside early and often, trying to force a war of attrition. Should be a good game but I don't really see this fragile UK team coming to the PMAC and taking one away from the Tigers. :lsup:

2. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

The news here in UK country is that Orlando Tubby Smith has the wheels back on with a revamped lineup featuring starters based on who worked the hardest in practice.

If Tella Tubby doesn’t know who his best players are by this time of year then UK will be in BIG trouble.

3. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Since this is just a continuation of a thread last week started by the 'dog... I'll just re-post my thoughts last week on the topic...

As for how we play Kentucky, I do believe we win, although let's remember as "bad" as everyone thinks Kentucky is this year, they're still playing 3 McD All Americans and they will be hungry to build their NCAA resume. No way this is a given for the Tigers, and obviously, I hate to say it, but Brady Bashers seem to be pinning their hopes for another Brady "embarassing" loss on Kentucky. I think if Davis and Thomas have a good game (home court will help), they can neutralize Morris by making him have to focus a lot on d. And, Tasmin and Temple have to play well to keep Sparks and Rondo under control. As usual, Tubby will run a lot of guys at LSU, and so depth becomes a concern. However, I'm hoping that our young tigers and D.Mitch see the chance to pin one on UK at home... something they haven't done in ages, and play lights out. Brady and staff need to think through their defensive schemes and need to work the rotation right, and I hope that they think through some interesting wrinkles to throw at the 'Cats. I think if there's any one key to the game, it will be the play of D.Mitch, how effective can he be offensively against UK pressure d, and the turnovers of Temple and Tasmin, and what they can do to help relieve that pressure on D.Mitch.

Of course, I predicted LSU might lose at Vandy, so perhaps the Tigers will flip flop my prediction... or just win BOTH games! I'm nervous about the game, but definitely psyched. It feels a little like the pivotal game vs. 'Bama last year at home on TV, where Neltner hits a last second put back to win the game. It feels like to me the type of game where a few plays will define the outcome. Advantage to Tigers in a VERY close one, b/c we're at home. No doubt Kentucky is a new team right now, tho'... :)

:geauxtige :champs: :bball:

4. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

An awful Miss St team destroyed Ole Miss by 29 last weekend, so I'm not overly impressed with UK's 40 point win. Looks like Ole Miss has given up on this season.

Uk struggles on offense and have little outside threat. Sparks struggled most of the year, even though he had a great game last week against USC. They just don't have a scorer they can count on consistently. Big advantage LSU.

Where UK can beat us is on defense. They play solid D, cause TOs and will get their share of steals. Rondo will put pressure on our guards, which means Dmitch needs to be healthy and ready to play the entire game. I don't expect to see much of Voogd this game.

If LSU plays reasonably well, we win going away. Turn the ball over too much and it'll be another tight game. We'll have huge crowd and players should be pumped. I'm ready!

5. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

But, that's what worries me. Athletic, pressing d, Tubby-coached team with a lot of depth. Pressure on our guards, two of whom aren't 100% healthy. I think the home court will help and hurt the Tigers in the sense that we've played UK real close the last few years when noone expected us to win. We're expected to win this year, I believe. So, I think the Tigers might be tight, and the game will be close---a game of runs, but tight at the end. If LSU wins "going away" Brady should get COY, IMO. Not sure this is the same UK team we've seen in the early part of the season.

6. TigerWins

12 days ago they lost by 3 at Vandy. I know they've won 3 in a row since, but that was 2 home games against UGA and Ole Miss. The 13 point win over USC on the road was impressive though.

UK is a decent team, but I don't think they are as good as we are right now.

Hope I'm right.:thumb:

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

LSU will be favored prolly 5'-6 points which is about right due to only having 2 losses in the conference to this point but im thinking UK with their backs against the wall makes this one down to the wire. especially given our recent problems at the FT line and a propensity for constant turnovers down the stretch. LSU will be sky high which may be a bit overwhelming for our local boys because they're not used to a packed house.

8. LSUGOLFER

LSUGOLFER Founding Member

If you dont like my post, dont read it and dont post back in it. Because you disagree with me does not mean I am wrong with any of my thoughts.

9. Kjunsausage

Kjunsausage Founding Member

i am going to go out on a limb and say lsu drops this one in double digits. vandy should not have been no where near this talented tiger team and uk will expose the tigers weakness.
    come on brady prove me wrong sucka!

10. TigerWins

What does it say about UK when Vandy beat them twice this year?