Letting go of letting Brees go

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by CajunlostinCali, Jan 26, 2010.

1. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

... and a fan base made up of pilgrims from elsewhere share the one thing that unites and that is the dark cloud on that day they had to let Brees geaux.

I am not a chargers fan by all means and this is a huge reason why I would never consider being one. You can crunch the numbers, balance the checkbook and make a hard decision but at the end of the day you never let a natural with a work ethic second to none get away, ever.

Letting go of letting Brees go - SignOnSanDiego.com

The Saints got themselves the holy grail in bringing Brees to New Orleans. It takes good people to know good people. Damn fine fit if you ask me. I like the way things worked out for Drew.:thumb:

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

true dat!

i was watching tv a few weeks ago (sorry, i cannot remember where/when i saw this) and they had something about the saints on and were focusing on this. how the people love brees for who he is other than being a qb and how he seems to genuinely love new orleans and the people. they had brees visiting the musicians village, the housing area that harry connick jr has done so much to push and raise money to build. brees was visiting to celebrate the completion of some houses and harry connick jr was there. after meeting brees, exchanging congratulations, yada yada, they did an aside interview with connick after brees left. he was jumping up and down and squealing like a little girl cause he got to meet drew brees. he was star struck. i thought it was hysterical. connick is such a local boy celeb, and a star in his own right, but was giddy over meeting brees.

3. LesMilesFan

LesMilesFan Founding Member

Where did you see that? :hihi:

Pay the guy whatever he wants. He needs to retire a Saint, if not it would be ashame.

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

That's the great part. He's a guy who just wants to be paid fairly. He's not gonna go somewhere else for an extra million a year. As long as we are fair with him and want him, he will be here.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

And I'd be hoppin' off that bandwagon like a jackrabbit on steroids.

6. CajunlostinCali

Dunno. Shottenheimer was right and that is Brees was worth the scratch just to develop the next QB alone. For the Saints, that's a menu worth paying for. Dudes got heart and I know you cannot teach that but just being around it long enough, some of that has gotta rub off.

With all the skinny chicken you been eating lately! Just sayin! :hihi:

7. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Well, like the article says, they had to choose between a "Lamborghini" and a "Ferrari" when it came to Brees and Rivers. The article says "Even now, with Brees one win from the Lombardi Trophy, it’s not yet obvious which guy will have the better career."

Brees hadn't come into his own at that point, he was a 2nd-Round pick, only 6'0-209, and he just suffered a big injury to his throwing arm.

Meanwhile, you had Rivers, who is 3 years younger than Brees, the #4 overall pick, great size at 6'5-228, and didn't have an injury to deal with.

Had to be a tough call. I think most people would agree that Brees is a Top 3 QB today, but where would you rate Rivers today?

31-year-old Brees threw for 4,388 yards this season with a 109.6 rating (#1 in NFL).

28-year-old Rivers threw for 4,254 yards this season with a 104.4 rating (#3 in NFL).

8. CajunlostinCali

Read the article again genius. It's hindsight. Last gut punch says it all:

9. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

They actually got a 3rd-round pick for Brees leaving for more money with the Saints? That's pretty good, no? I thought they got nothing in return for Brees leaving.

Reading the article over, I see it says: "the Chargers did not allow Brees to walk away “for nothing,” as is widely perceived."

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Criticism of the Chargers is 20/20 hindsight, but if the Saints were to penny pinch him...well, that's another matter.