Liberal Radio is here

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by mesquite tiger, Mar 31, 2004.

1. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

2. ColonelHapablap

ColonelHapablap Founding Member

That's kinda like saying that since SLU restarted it's football program, LSU will have competition in the state now. I just wish that Air America was publically traded so that I could short it. That'd be like shooting fish in a barrel.

3. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

It's been tried before, and it failed before. The only difference this time is that the mouths are louder (has-been/never were comedians like Jeanene Garafolo and Al Franken). I have no reason to think it won't fail again.

4. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

prediction: it's gonna suck

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

10 to 1 it gets cancelled before 6 months. I don't know whether or not there is as much demand for liberal talk radio as there is for conservative talk radio but there aren't many liberal professional broadcasters who are good at hosting a talk radio show and Al Franken isn't one of them. Once his humor wears thin his ratings will drop like a rock.

6. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

it looks as though the conservatives of the board have spoken.......

any liberals want to express their opinions?

Cottonbowl?

7. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Gee, it got awfully quiet in here (cricket chirping). :D :D :D

8. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Al Franken is terrible...That's all I have to say about that...

9. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I just wanted to say maybe thats what happened to cottonbowl.
    He doesn't have time for us anymore because he's producing talk radio for Liberals now. :dis:

10. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

It's not that liberal radio won't work, it's just that it's top heavy...

Limbaugh started out very, VERY small, and faced many hurdles and obstacles, and also was allowed to "hone his game" over the course of DECADES of on air maturation...Same with Sean Hannity...

To think you can hit the ground running like gangbusters is admirable, but it's not logical. You can't just build something from scratch and expect it to compete aganist institutions that have been in place and put in lots of committed years to their advertisers and their audience.

I predict that the novelty will wear off soon, and you've already seen Chuck D back away. He was one of the headliners for Air America, but he quickly backed off, mostly due to a highly popular ethnic radio station in New York which was run totally by African Americans which revolved around local culturally uplifting topics like politics, health, culture, arts, etc, for African Americans basically had the plug pulled so that their station and existing listener base could be force fed the new Air America.

The entire radio station, as a matter of fact, was retrofitted and gutted to house the actual home studios of Air America. When the outrage from the NYC African American Community hit the streets, Chuck D balked at joining up with such a locally unpopular decision in the eyes of blacks in the NYC area.

They need to start off slow...Challenge O'Reilly in the big markets...slowly branch from there...I think they're doing it all wrong...They could have a niche, but they're just making mistakes...