Linebacker Linebacker Linebacker

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by LaSalleAve, Sep 23, 2015.

1. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I think the number of LB's on the roster would have to increase significantly before they could even think about switching to a 3-4. Plus are we even recruiting anyone that would be a true 3-4 NT?

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I saw today that the faggies already have 15 sacks in their first ,3 games. LSU only had 19 all last season. What is Chavis doing?

3. TwistedTiger

He has a better D line at A&M than LSU had last year. Myles Garret is the real deal.

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

It's his first year. Once he's in there for 3-4 years and doesn't teach rushing technique, those numbers will go down.

Tiger in NC likes this.
  5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Peveto recruited East Texas when he was here before and also when he was head coach at Northwestern State. He certainly knows the Texas schools and coaches. And recruits certainly know LSU. Peveto has a enjoyed a reputation as a top recruiter and 247 ranks him the #3 recruiter in the country right now.

6. TwistedTiger

Yes, I know Peveto's connections with Texas. I still say outside of La. and Texas you mention his name and almost no one would have a clue. Same with Steele outside of La. and Bama. Doesn't mean they aren't great recruiters, just not household names at this point. Honestly, how many highs school LBs outside of La. do you think are saying they can't wait to come play for Peveto especially since he's basically the assistant LB coach? I think in a couple years Steele's name may have a little more pull, but we really need LBs now.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Sure, but recruits really haven't heard of anybody else's assistant coaches either. But if they look them up they will like what they see--a couple of former head coaches and coordinators who have recruited top athletes, Steele with NFL coaching experience. High school coaches know who these guys are and they are the ones the recruits learn from.

I think nobody comes to a school for a recruiter, they come here to go to LSU. Good recruiters are just the best salesmen and if Peveto and Steele can do as well as they have done previously, we are in good shape. They obviously know how to communicate with high school coaches and players. I think we are just fine with them. It will be hard for anybody to match last years haul with three true freshmen starting and Guice getting plenty of work.

8. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

I think in time we will see the LB play and recruting pick up. While Chavis was known for LB recruiting and coaching at Tennessee he didn't continue that trend at LSU. We had some solid play but outside of a few, not that many real stand outs or high draft picks. Bama always prodcued a great LB core, I think Steele will improve that aspect here at LSU. There is already visible improvement in just one year.

We do need a good year of recruting LB's because we lose several from this year through grad, plus I don't see Beckwith coming back for a SR season.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  9. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

@bhelmLSU do we have a shot at Ben Davis?