Linebackers for 08 class

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by K_Jay, Oct 2, 2007.

1. gely33

gely33 Here I Stand

i beg to differ that richard murphy hasnt looked good heck he hasnt touched the ball much an the times he has i like what i saw he is in my opinion an u may not like my opinion and that is he is the only back that can make things happen when there isnt a gaping hole there....i mean the other guys can lower the boom but lowering the boom gets you 3 yards if u can make some1 miss u break an 80 yd td.......dont be so quick to right murphy off or down play cuz im telling you he is good as advertised....an i think he is more of the type of back that crowton likes

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Okay, strike Barksdale and substitute Carnell Stewart. As far as I know, Stewart has never seen time at ROT. I know that Scott has performed well at Lber in the past. It can and does happen and quite often with success. Stewart has had more good performances than bad in his first full year starting after several years of being a DT.

We need more than one power back? Personally, I feel that using so many RB's is a real weakness for the offense. Traditionally, runningbacks perform better when they're getting the bulk of the carries, able to develop a rhythmn. Sure it's nice to have more than one option, but there are quite a few teams that are successful without any power runningbacks, much less two.

It just all depends on what the depth chart looks like in spring training. Things may work out to where we don't need anyone at LBer due to one of the young guys really stepping up or an incoming freshman looking more promising than expected. Perhaps we (heaven forbid) see an injury in the backfield making such a move even more unlikely.

I know that I'm not really concerned with Murphy's early performance so far. He really has not seen enough carries to really distinguish himself. The guy is a player and very versatile. He should perform well when his name is called.

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Assuming LSU doesn't get a RB in this class, that will be 2 straight years without signing a RB. As much depth as it feels like we have at RB, we do not have enough to move Scott to LB.

4. Potted Plant

Potted Plant Founding Member

Running back depth could end up being a problem, but it's not entirely correct to say we didn't sign a running back last year. We signed that kid from mississippi whose name escapes me at the moment. He is currently redshirting, but there have been some glowing practice reports. He reports to be very versatile, perhaps a future Hester-type. It was believed that he might be moved to linebacker, but that hasn't happened.

5. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Look 4 posts higher. That is Ridley the guy I was talking about. He was a power back in high school with about a 4.6--40 time, projected as a FB or LB. However, according to practice reports he looks fast enough that he may play RB in the same mold as Hester. I haven't heard anything recently if they have settled on a position for him to play. Maybe others will know more.

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I wanted to add that the whole LBer issue is a little overemphasized anyway. There have been a lot of good defenses with mediocre Lber talent because of excellent secondaries and defensive lines. The D-Line will once again be one of the best in the nation next year and while the secondary will be a bit more youthful, it's not like those guys are not seeing the field at all. They'll just be seeing it a whole lot more next year.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

DLine certainly won't be a weakness, but our LBs & secondary definitely could be. Our backups have looked good in mop up duty, but they haven't proven much & there will be some growing pains.

It is possible that we could lose every starter on defense except a DT & safety.

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Ridley was playing the Hester roll (FB/TB) during Spring practice, but he was recruited as an athlete & could easily make the switch to LB. It would be more likely to see him switch than Scott.

9. njtigger

njtigger Founding Member

Any news on Brendan Beal? He was excited about all the people on the Florida campus when he went there. Last weekend must have just blown his mind. I know Mike S. says he is a long shot, but he always had LSU in there with USC and Florida.

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Mike & Sonny both say it doesn't look good for LSU.