Lions vs Saints discipline

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by mctiger, Dec 23, 2014.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

OK, I know many Saints fans think that "Bountygate" was a consipacy against the team. I'm not one of them, although I definitely think the team got screwed. But now with the one-game suspension of Dominic Raiola for intentionally stomping on another player......just between Raiola and N. Suh, that makes 10 such offenses for the Lions over the last few years, and it seems like a couple of other Lion players have drawn flagrant misconduct penalties in that time. So how is it the Lion franchise hasn't been disciplined for failing to get its players under control, yet the Saints get the largest franchise disciplinary action in league history for a situation in which not a single on-the-field incident could be identified? Thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Because Roger Goodell doesn't need a scapegoat currently when it comes to player safety, the focus has been shifted to off field domestic abuse. I don't think it was a matter of him picking on the Saints because he doesn't like them or Sean Payton, I think the Saints were an easy way for Goodell to say the NFL cares to the courts during the lawsuits. It was all a defensive strategy to make sure they wouldn't have to cough up 1 more dollar than they had to.

As for the Lions, you make a good point but the NFL has NEVER been proactive, only reactionary. If this became a story with negativity I think you would see Goodell do something, but not because it's the right thing to do.

Bengal B, mctiger and tirk like this.
  3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

goodell is getting his comeuppance. his consistent mismanagement and inconsistent punishments brings to light the NFL makes decisions based on public opinion and covering their asses only. and not for what is right.

and roger goodell and the nfl have none.

fanatic and mctiger like this.
  4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

6. LaSalleAve

The "league" also hosed Detroit out of a 2 point conversion and gave Green Bay a touchdown both on replay, both wrong calls. And then fine Suh for stepping on Rodgers leg when it didn't even look remotely intentional and suspend him? Are you serious? Suspension from the the first round game for that? Goodell is the worst commissioner in the history of sports.

7. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Whoa. Suh knew exactly what he was doing and it was quite intentional. I was watching it live. Rogers knew what he was doing as well. So Suh's suspension is good and if he keeps it up, hopefully the fines and suspensions increase.

8. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

and, he has a pattern of this. message needed to be sent. too bad it's overturned, imo.

9. LaSalleAve

That can't be proven. It didn't look malicious to me at all

10. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

It was. It may not have had the "stomping" appearance that you may be looking for, but make no mistake about it, he knew he was stepping on the QBs leg, and knew it twice. MCTiger and Rhans are spot on.