Little 9-24 after work shopping spree

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Sep 24, 2015.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

wife took kids to some bounce house nonsense this evenin didn't take long to realize I was solo and headed for the water. Threw the net at the ramp once and caught 2 peter mullet for cut bait and went lookin for white trout. Found em at the first stop fished about 90 minutes and left em biting when I hit 60. [​IMG]

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Dude, you must have a huge freezer. Where do you put them all?

3. jvalhenson

2 deep freezers that I keep full for hunting season and for those lulls when I cant go get it fresh for whatever reason. But we eat fish minimum twice a week usually more so between that, what I give to my mom and grandmaw, what I give to friends and other family, and what I do as benefit fish frys for people(we have a little group of us that put on benefits about 5-6 times a year for local folks around here that have cancer, deaths, fires, etc that need some financial help and when I do those I will usually fry fish for 100-500 people so run through a good bit of it there too) it doesnt last to long.

4. KyleK

Pretty cool thing - the benefit cooking. I cook jambalaya at probably 5-6 benefits / year for similar numbers of people. Jambalaya is easy. I can't imagine frying fish for 500 people. You must have a really big fryer setup.

5. jvalhenson

yea I've got one my buddy's dad made about 50 years ago. Him my grandpaw, great uncle and others had a similar crew years ago that they did the same thing(the ones still living are still doing it with us now too but they just come sit now and tell us what we doin wrong:) but I sure loving having the few of them left there with us) He made it at work one day and dropped it off at my great uncle's house said now we got one we can really raise some money with and anyone around here needs it they know where it is. So anyways I have it now and I can cook about a gallon and half in it per frying which is enough for about 25-30 people per frying. So if expect anything less than about 200 folks I just use that one and do all the cooking. If we expect more than 200 then my buddy brings his which is a more standard commercial type deep frier and he can do about half a gallon per frying in that one but it fries twice as fast as mine bc he can fry at a much higher temp with the V shape and heat element in the middle. So he does 1 gallon in the same time I do 1.5 gallons so with both of them going we can roll through some fish in a hurry. Of course its all fun too just a bunch of folks hangin out fryin and eatin fish and drinkin beer of course but we have raised a lot of money over the years doin it. Had it figured up last month after the last one I did that so far we have raised well over 100K in the past 5 years just frying fish. This last one we did was the best one Ive been involved with raising 13,800 for my cousin with cancer. No telling how much money beyond what Ive raised has been raised with that homemade frier when my grandpaw and his crew were doing it.

KyleK and Bengal B like this.
  6. KyleK

That is very cool. Next time you are doing one, post it. I'd love to come hang with y'all.

7. jvalhenson

will do. usually they are planned a couple weeks+ out but of course there are those that pop up last minute too but I will let you know. Goin into winter/hunting season now so dont usually do any more till spring unless something bad happens(hopefully not but seems like one more is needed most years unfortunately) and someone gets in a bind and really needs it.