Little Known Facts

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Feb 27, 2014.

1. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

...this song is about this car
    [​IMG]

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

No, no its not

3. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

• China Grove is a small town in Texas, about 10 miles from San Antonio in Bexar county. Did Doobie Brothers singer/guitarist Tom Johnston know this when he wrote the song? Sort of. Here's what he told us: "The words were written last, and they were made up around this whole idea of this wacky little town with a sheriff that had a Samurai Sword and all that sort of thing. The funny thing was that I found out in 1975 in a cab in Houston that there really was a China Grove, although what happened was in 1972 we were touring in Winnebagos, and we were driving into San Antonio. And there is a China Grove, Texas, right outside of San Antonio. I must have seen the sign and forgotten about it. And when I came up with the term 'China Grove,' I thought I was just making it up because of the words being about this crazy sheriff with a Samurai Sword."
    • Johnston's lyrics were influenced by the oriental piano sound that Billy Payne came up with when they were working on the track. Payne was the pianist for Little Feat, and recorded with many other artists, including Elton John and James Taylor. Says Johnston: "the piano lick went, 'Dadadadun, dadadadadundun.' It was an Oriental sounding lick. And so from there I took off and went to the place I ended up with lyrically. I must have seen that sign and forgotten it. And when the cab driver told me this in Houston, I said, 'You gotta be kiddin' me.' He said, 'There really is a China Grove.' I said, 'No, there isn't.' He says, 'Yeah, there really is. And it is right outside of San Antonio.' I said, 'That's weird.' And it turns out there's one in North Carolina, too." (Check out our full interview with Tom Johnston.)

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Unfortunately it is. The sound of a car in the song is evhs Lamborghini.

6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Not sure why I thought he was talking about Jeff Gordon. Good chance I was a few beers in when I posted that.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Basketball, volleyball and racquetball were all invented at the YMCA.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The depiction of time travel on TV and movies is banned in China.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Stretching and yawning at the same time is called pandiculation.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Products that you can actually buy online

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Runny Nose Shower Gel Dispenser
    This handy item can be hung up right on the shower wall for convenience during cleaning. When body cleaning gel is needed, a simple press of the over-sized nostril produces a suitably long drip of 'nose' gel that can be directly applied to the body.

[​IMG]

Marilyn Monroe Doggie Costume
    This one should only be displayed among guests with a sense of humor, since it includes a blonde wig, a white dress, and inflatable breasts that might make the wearer more appealing to humans than other dogs.

[​IMG]
    Inflatable Cat Unicorn Horn
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]