Little Known Facts

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Feb 27, 2014.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I get where people find soccer boring, but I really wish I had gotten my son to play youth soccer when he was young. You learn to be so nimble on your feet, and footwork is a huge part of virtually every sport.

KyleK likes this.
  2. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

My son in 10th grade sustained a concussion at fb practice he came home the next day saying he couldn't remember anything that happened at school that day. I yanked him from the team and wouldn't let him play again. He was pissed at me but I told him him I could fix his knee but not his brain. I don't know what I will think when I start having grandsons who want to play.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Watched my mother in law die of ALS and with all the studies showing the dramatic increase of that with TBI I am not about to risk it. Hard enough watching it happen to her, I'd lose it if it were my own son.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

March 14th is Pi Day

5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Go figure..

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Shizuo Shinoda was digging with a bulldozer when he accidentally scraped some markings into a road: later when he drove over the markings he realized that the vibration produced in his car can be heard as a tune. In 2007, a team of engineers from the Hokkaido Industrial Research Institute refined Shinoda's designs and built a number of “melody roads” in Japan. The roads have grooves cut at specific intervals and depths along the surface so that a car moving over them will produce a series of high or low notes, enabling designers to create a distinct tune. The closer the grooves are, the higher the pitch of the sound. The critical ingredient is the speed of the car: and so a potential safety measure was born. Driving too fast will sound like playing fast forward, while driving very slowly has a slow-motion effect, making you almost car sick.

In fact the idea of the musical road predated the Japanese discovery: in October 1995 two artists, Steen Krarup Jensen and Jakob Freud-Magnus, constructed the Asphaltophone in Gylling, Denmark. But the Japanese initiative led to a safety measure that has been adopted, not only in Japan, but also in some locations in Korea and the United States.

Any ideas for road songs?

Highway to Hell - AC-DC
    On the Road Again - Willie Nelson
    Rockin' Down the Highway - Doobie Brothers
    Goin' Down the Road, Feelin' Bad - Grateful Dead
    Roadhouse Blues - The Doors
    Dead Man's Curve - Jan & Dean
    Little Red Corvette - Prince

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  8. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

too much time on my hands-styx

mctiger and shane0911 like this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Tay was an artificial intelligence chatterbot for the Twitter platform and is, perhaps, a story of our times. The bot was created by Microsoft's Technology and Research and Bing divisions; it was designed to mimic the language patterns of a 19-year-old American girl, and to learn from interacting with human users of Twitter.

Tay was released on Twitter by Microsoft on March 23, 2016 under the name TayTweets and handle @TayandYou. The picture in the question is the one used for Tay's Twitter profile. Within a day, the robot was releasing racist, sexually-charged messages in response to other Twitter users. The bot was taken offline around 16 hours after its launch.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  10. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

I'm told out by baker California,there is a road which plays America the beautiful.

Bengal B likes this.