Little Known Facts

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Feb 27, 2014.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Been watching videos about the history of upper rankings in the US military, and found these interesting. In celebration the Bicentennial, in 1976 Congress posthumously promoted George Washington to General of the Armies, and declared that he would forever be senior to all other officers. The title General of the Armies has been issued sparingly in our history, given to Grant during the Civil War, to be followed by Sherman and then Sheridan in succession. The equivalent Admiral of the Navy was given to George Dewey (he remains the only man to ever achieve the rank) and later to Black Jack Pershing following WWI. Congress considered designating Douglas McArthur General of the Armies during the planning stages of the invasion of Japan, but it was dropped when Japan surrendered.

The rank of General of the Army/Fleet Admiral (5-stars) was created in 1944 to give American theatre commanders seniority equivalent to other Allied commanders (most recognized a rank of Marshall that was superior to our 4-star Generals). Seven admirals and generals were promoted to 5-star during the war (Admiral Leahy, General Marshall, Admiral King, General McArthur, Admiral Nimitz, General Eisenhower and General Arnold, who headed the Army Air Corps and was later declared General of the Air Force). However, all were considered junior to General Pershing, who lived until 1949. Following the war, Admiral Halsey and General Bradley received a 5th star. The ranks of General of the Army, General of the Air Force, Admiral of the Navy and Admiral of the Coast Guard are all currently vacant.

The insignia for General of the Armies has created confusion for casual observers. During the Civil War, the highest ranking generals wore 3 stars, so Grant, Sherman and Sheridan wore 4 stars on their promotions. By the time Pershing received the title, the 4-star general's rank had been made standard, and Pershing was allowed to choose his own insignia. He decided to keep to 4 stars, but wore them in gold rather than the commonly used silver. Since a General of the Armies outranks even a 5-star general, it was thought when that promotion was being considered for McArthur that he would wear 6 stars, an insignia that has never been approved. (General's/Admiral's stars are worn in a row, but for a 5-star they are arranged in a circle. It was thought the sixth star would be placed in the middle of the circle of 5). Nevertheless, there are some who now consider Washington to be our first and only 6-star general due to his 1976 promotion.

shane0911 likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

In the 1830s ketchup was sold as medicine

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire is the number one most request song for funerals. Stairway to Heaven is only 12th while AC-DC's Highway to Hell is 31. I Did it My Way by Frank Sinatra is number 40..

I had though of Grateful Dead's I might be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride but that might be too prophetic. I'll go with the Allman Brothers Ain't but one way out. Or SRV's Cold Shot.

shane0911 likes this.
  4. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24825336/

Results: A significant and strong correlation between the falling incidence of pubic lice infections and increase in pubic hair removal was observed, with a Pearson correlation r value of 0.9686 (95% confidence intervals, 0.88-0.992). The P value is less than 0.0001.

Conclusions: The increased incidence of hair removal may lead to atypical patterns of pubic lice infestations or its complete eradication as the natural habitat of this parasite is destroyed.

shane0911 likes this.
  5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

did somebody get paid to come up with that conclusion?

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Research isn't cheap

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  7. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

i get it.
    i’m just wondering how do i get the “inspect cooters for cooties” gig.

shane0911 likes this.
  8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

When you find out I better get a call

9. kluke

kluke Founding Member

You have to work your way up the chain; you start out with hairy men's ass. If you want to get to heaven the road begins in hell. :)

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  10. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member