Little Known Facts

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Feb 27, 2014.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Steal is a strong word. Its pretty common to cover other people's songs and they have to pay royalties even if they change the arraignment

red55 likes this.
  3. shane0911

Yeah whatever you want to call it. When it comes down to it just about everything Zeppelin did had already been done by someone else.

plotalot likes this.
  4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Not really. All bands including the Beatles played covers of other songs. Elvis P. Resley covered a ton of them. What Zeppelin did wrong was to fail to cite the original composers and pay them royalties for 25 years until they decided to so the right thing. Huge amount of money for some elderly songwriters.

5. shane0911

The money is irrelevant to the statement. The zepsters didn't have any originality to them. Bunch of copy cats is all they were.

6. red55

You got a tin ear, buddy.

7. shane0911

Lol, no, in fact I have a very well trained ear. I'm sorry if I offended you but the truth is the truth. Watch the Eric Clapton crossroads guitar festival and you will see lots of those old blues men up there. Then you will say, "Hey, that sounds an awful lot like...." Son of bitch he was right.

8. red55

I repeat, covering another song is no big deal, every band does it. Taking credit for another persons song is the issue here. Zeppelin was far more influential than you imagine because they were original in how they played. They practically invented a genre. Those old bluesmen never played heavy metal and they stole blues licks from each other a lot themselves. Calling them "nothing but a bunch of copycats" suggests that you haven't listened to much Zeppelin or blues either.

9. shane0911

Exactly, LZ is nothing but a cover band. Great way to put it. That is all they did was cover other tunes. If I misrepresented by saying they "stole" it then I apologize because that was in fact incorrect. I get the influence, I get jimmy page using a fiddle bow to drag across the strings of his strat and I understand enough people not knowing enough music history to realize that damn near every song they ever recorded was a cover of something that was already done. I'm not saying they aren't talented, that they aren't good, hell I love the zep. At the end of the day, a cover band.

10. red55

That's not what I said. Again, too strong amigo. "Nothing but a cover band" ignores that many of their songs were indeed original compositions. Is Elvis nothing but a cover band? The Stones? The Beatles?

Led Zeppelin gets WAY too much criticism over the common practice of making better versions of old songs. Just like the Monkees get way too much criticism because they used session musicians in the studio, when almost every band in the rock era also used session musicians.