Little Known Facts

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The world's first webcam was created to monitor a coffee pot at Cambridge University.

2. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

I would rather be in pain than pushing up daisies. I knew two people that died as a result of anesthesia - one for wisdom teeth and one for general surgery. I had inguinal hernia surgery under local only for that reason. They told me if I moved too much the gas passer would put me out. It hurt like a dozen broken toes, but I squeezed the gauze ball the nurse gave me and I walked out 1 hour after they were done. I probably wouldn't have done it again the first couple of years, but damn sure would now. Pain is an interesting memory. Different strokes I suppose.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

In India, the urine of sacred cows is use as a cleaning solution, a cure for baldness and even as a soft drink.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The longest recorded flight of a chicken is 13 seconds and 301.5 feet.

LSUDad likes this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The first hypodermic needle, made of a quill and sheep's bladder, was used to inject a dog with opium.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

A cafe in London that serves cereal is called the Cereal Killer Cafe

[​IMG]
    Creepy and cute at the same time. (Photo: Cereal Killer Cafe/Facebook)
    This UK “first” fills a gap in the market that nobody even saw — nobody apart from two identical twins from Belfast.
    The Cereal Killer Cafe, opened last December, serves 120 different cereals from all over the world (try the Oreo Os, otherwise only available to buy in South Korea), with 30 different types of milk.

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

The only US president to have commanded a military unit in combat while he was president was James Madison. During the War of 1812, while evacuating Washington, he briefly took command of an artillery unit.

red55 likes this.
  8. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

On advice of a psychic, Sarah Winchester, widow of the rifle maker, blew most of her inheritance on a huge house for all of the ghosts of people killed by her husband's guns. The house is now a tourist attraction in San Jose CA and is full of architectural oddities meant to confound ghosts, like stairways that end at the ceiling, doors that open into the upper portion of rooms on lower floors, and twisting, dead end hallways.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

To can check out any time you like,
    but you can never leave.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

In just three months, 7 year old Kautilya Pandit of Haryana, India memorized the population, GDP, income, currency, religion, culture and heritage of 213 countries, earning him the nickname Google.