little news item on prisoner abuse in Iraq

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by mesquite tiger, May 6, 2004.

1. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

I am very surprised that nobody has posted anything on the recent "uncovering" of Iraqi prisoners being led around on leashes naked, and playing what looks like naked twister with each other. Bush is catching a lot of heat on this deal, and he is passing it all off on Rumsfeld. I do not know with certainty if Bush knew this was gong on, but I would hope that he did. If not, he is truely out of touch with this "freedom" operation going on. i am frankly shocked that the US let journalists take photos of these things (huge security issue).

I honestly have no feelings towards the whole thing, I am sure our POWs get treated worse then this. HOWEVER, this footage is being shown in all Arab nations right now, and it is making America look like big bullies just out trying to have fun at the expense of the citizens of the Middle East. Expect a huge backlash from the Arab nations, whether it be political (imports/exports and oil) or by terrorists IMO.

Question is will Bush take a big hit for this in the election.............

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/05/06/iraq.abuse.main/index.html

2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

The pictures were not taken by journalists, they were taken by other soldiers. The reason this came to light is because other U.S. soldiers, uncomfortable with what was going on with this situation, complained to higher-ups. The pictures were discovered as a result of an internal JAG/Pentagon investigation, and once an investigation becomes official, leaks of evidence are inevitable.

Charles Johnson at Little Green Footballs sums up the true nature of this situation much more eloquently than I ever could (www.littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog):

3. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

We did NOTHING to the Arabs or the Middle east before September 11, 2001.

The Arabs have more outrage about this than they did when Saddam was torturing
    his own people.

Where was the outrage when the American civilians were killed, burned and hanged?
    These are civilians and not soldiers...

Where is the outrage over Iraqis capturing civilian Americans that has nothing
    to do with war, matter of fact they are trying to help the Iraqis and thier country.

There is more outrage over the way we treat prisoners.....

I don't care to be friends with terrorists or any middle eastern country that can't use thier senses and thier brain power above the politics and the hatred for the America
    and the west.

Kill them all if we have to, these kind of people should be exterminated!

4. BB

BB Founding Member

This is a f***ing joke and a complete insult on the intellect of the American public. The actions of 6 soldiers are being called a "scandal" - I have never seen more hatred for any public figure, much less the President of the United States of America, than the liberal media's hatred for Bush. These people are foaming with absolute hatred and they will do anything neccessary to see him fail - they have become complete whores. Stop listening to these goons and stop being duped into listening to their spin on such isolated incidents. The lefty media has officially outdone even themselves. Donald Rumsfeld is now being asked to resign over this - the liberal media is actually succeeding in pushing their hidden agenda into more and more living rooms.

5. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Although I am up on current events home and abroad, if I payed attention to politics, I would go insane .

6. mesquite tiger

liberal media?

right.

funny how different people's opinions vary, because I feel the media is very much on the side of the GOP..........

7. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

You'd either have to be blind and deaf or just plain stupid to suggest such a thing. it's not opionion its fact.
    Only ONE media format even remotely comes close to presenting both sides equally and that is Fox, they give both sides of the issues. The rest are biased left. Patheticlly enought that Ray Charles could see it.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

i think fox is definitely slanted to the right. but thats fine with me. other news orgs are definitely slanted to the left. but thats not bad or wrong, its cool. options are cool. i read the new york post. it is a childish right wing rag. i love it. the nytimes is awful, and slanted to the left. i get a choice. i have no problems with political slants in media. foxnews is crazy popular, because it filled a niche, for so long the right had no representative on TV, they had talk radio instead.

i think its crazy to not admit that lots of mainstream media is slanted left (CNN, dan rather etc) and some is slanted right (fox), fine by me.

there is so much media now, its great, sometimes i found myself linked by google news to reading my news in random papers like he hindustan times or the sydney herald. we have never had it better.

9. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Surely this reply that you gave is for the shock. You can't possibly believe this. If you do I have a USC National Championship trophy to sell you!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

10. mesquite tiger

yea...it was an off kilter comment on my behalf.

the media's job is to report news. this is news. they are raising the question should Bush have been aware of this going on, and was he aware? it would be the same questions if it were a Democrat in office as well IMO.

Rumsfeld is the head honcho of this operation, and with that title comes great power and responsibility. Rumsfeld, like Bush, should know what is going on in their organization, especially dealing with matters as sensative as this.