Lock of the week (Perrilloux)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by gotskeeters, Jan 26, 2005.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I wouldn't care if RP wanted #99!!! I'd give him any number that he wanted if it were available.

2. MCab

MCab Founding Member

I never like the idea of playing someone as a frosh, especially when JR is very good. How did JP's high school do in the championship?

Peace,

MCab

3. BB

BB Founding Member

IMO, Amp Hill should give up the #1 until he's 100% - I love to see #1 on the field in those uniforms. It always looks the best...

4. BostonBengal

I think if you're FORCED to play a freshman, it's not exactly the best-case scenerio, but if a true-freshman happens to be the best player at his position, he should get his chance and start (i.e. Adrian Peterson).

I don't have a problem with playing freshmen--especially if they are ready. And with reguards to Russell's abilities, yes, he's very talented but you can never have enough "top-notch" players at each position.

Think of it this way: Isn't it great to be able to think that a "worse-case scenerio" would be JR or even Flynn, be our starting QB but also think about how good RP must be if he does come to LSU, and in fact, out-plays both JR and Flynn, as is our starter??

5. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

It's exceedingly rare, but you can occasionally find a freshman that can compete and win the starting job. In recent memory, there's Quincy Carter (who oddly seemed to peak as a freshman.) Reggie McNeal did it at A&M but that was more a function of not having anyone else. And didn't Leak at UF get some PT as a freshman??

6. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Leak became the starter at UF during his freshman season although he wasnt the starter in the first game. I dont recall which game but it was early in the year he took over.

Based on what I've seen of RP, he could win the starting job here. JR is good...no doubt but he isnt near as exciting as RP and doesnt look like the pure playmaker that RP appears to be. I've watched JR since his junior year in High School and the guy has a god given talent, physically. But he's never been in a disciplined offense and thats where he struggled last year. He was always his best just winging it in high school and in retrospect he pretty much did the same thing here. He was better when it was crunch time and he HAD to deliver but during a normal game trying to run and work within a balanced offense he seemed to struggle.

RP has a perfect chance here to come in and start early. I personally want him BAD because it always hurts for an LA kid to leave state, especially the cream of the crop this year.

7. BostonBengal

Not trying to give the impression that I'm disagreeing with you (you make a very good point), but was there any reason to think that Chris Leak could read defenses before going to UF?

I think all of these "Fab Freshmen" that start as True-Freshmen at big programs (i.e. Peterson and Leak) all go through the gauntlet of doubt.

8. clair

clair Rockets

At the Elite 11 camp, Ryan won the highest score EVER for Qb's when it came to intelligence! Even better than PEYTON MANNING did some years ago.

His ability to read stuff on a field shouldn't be in question...

He gets himself in trouble when he loses track of his mechanics

9. OpelousasLSUFan

OpelousasLSUFan Founding Member

I agree with u. Look at what happened to Tenn. this year having to finish off there season with the 3rd string QB (Rick Clawson-LSU Reject). I would love to see JR, Flynn, and RP be the 1st, 2nd and 3rd QBs no matter who is the starter and the backups.:thumb:

10. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

I did not hear that and I searched Google for it and came up empty.

Have a link for that? I find that a little hard to believe