Logic, Emotion and Parallel Universes

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BP, Dec 7, 2009.

1. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

A good thread and supported post from the OP. Not coincidentally, this thread won't get many replies.

Pity.

2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

you owe me $1.37 for every post you make while using my design as your avatar :cool:

on to the subject at hand.

this is what I've been trying to say to the board.
    i'm pretty sure i'm classified as a sunshine pumper because of my support for Miles. But hear me out a little.

what some people are demanding has never been done in Baton Rouge, and has rarely ever happened in this conference.

really, i would love to win the SEC and compete for a NC every single year. The reality is that it is not gonna happen. Not to any school in this league.

think about it, Tim Tebow and Urban Meyer are probably the best coach/QB combination this conference has seen in at least 10 years, and maybe best ever. in the 3 years with Tebow as a starter, they won 1 conference title.
    if that combo can have down years, and not win a conference title/be in NC every year, do we really expect anyone to be able to pull off that feat?

we have a solid team here. we're in a really good position to finish in the top 10 for the 6th time this decade (4 of those would be with our current head coach).

we'll have a veteran QB from day 1 next year. last 4 times ('01, '03. '06, '07) we were able to say that, we finished the season by playing in and winning a BCS bowl.

2 people like this.
  3. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

This X 100:thumb:

4. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

A quick peek ... so don't hold me to these stats... says in the past decade alone... since 2000.... the SEC has had 6 different champs, the Big 12 had four, the ACC had five.... and the Big Ten had seven, the PAC 10 had 6 (although the Big Ten and Pac 10 had some co-champs).... The point being it's very hard for any school to put together a "champion string" of more than two or three seasons.

And my guess is it's only gonna get harder.

2 people like this.
  5. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Lets not use logic on the internet, that would be a first.

6. DRC

DRC TigerNator

If you've been following LSU since you were a kid in the 70's you realize this is the best of times. I think most of the people who are pessimistic didnt live through the constant mediocrity of the 70's, the inconsistent and sometimes ugly 80's (Archer) and the nasty 90's with a sting of coaching idiots and underachieving teams.

Its easy to become spoiled with unrealistic expectations. We have reached a level that many teams dream about. Of course I get frustrated like everyone else and I will be critical like most people but Im not going to jump of the ledge or abandon the team. If the next 9 years turn out like the last 9 years we should all be pretty happy.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mike in Memphis

Mike in Memphis Old Tiger

One of the best threads I read on TF in a while. Too many of us posts like we expect perfection every game and every season and it just does not happen like that in real life.

:eek:ldskule:

1 person likes this.
  8. Mike in Memphis

Mike in Memphis Old Tiger

Well, after reading all articles about coaching changes at UT and the NYT report of possible recruiting violations by Orange Pride, Nutt maybe toying with Ole Miss like he did with Arkansas, I keep coming back to this thread and I keep remembering why I like CLM (even if I do second guess him from time to time). I'm just very happy with the Tiger program at this moment.

:eek:ldskule:

9. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Very well said. Now if all of our fans could use this logic. In defense of the sky is falling crew, every fan base has them, thank god calmer heads make the real decisions and prevail.

10. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

So does this mean that we shouldn't complain when our offense or defense is last in the SEC or 100 in the nation?
    I strongly disagree if that is the case.

I agree with a lot being said in this thread but I also know that fans, radio talk shows and media will criticize coaches, some more than others for one reason or another.
    Sometimes they deserve it and sometimes they don't.

Like I've said, the next 2 years will tell us everything we need to know.
    I'm not one of those calling for CLM's head for any reason.
    I think Crowton should go because of his track record at Oregon and here.
    I will say that it is ridiculous at this point for someone wanting CLM's to leave.

I don't read all the posts here or listen to talk shows but I don't expect LSU to play in the SEC Championship or national title every year but I also don't expect the Tigers to have a season like last year.
    The way it played out was simply not smart to put it mildly.