Look at the garbage nonconference schedule in the first two years of the Twelve Game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by max, May 18, 2005.

1. max

max Founding Member

Look at the garbage nonconference schedule in the first two years of the Twelve Game Era. Out of 8 games there is only 1 top opponent. That is ridiculous. We can sleepwalk to bowl eligibility each year with this extra garbage game.

SEC West
    Auburn Away
    Alabama Home
    Arkansas Away
    Ole Miss Home
    Mississippi State Home

SEC East
    Florida Away
    Tennessee Away
    Kentucky Home

Non-Conference
    Arizona Home
    Northern Illinois Home
    Tulane Home
    UL-Lafayette Home

SEC West
    Auburn Home
    Alabama Away
    Arkansas Home
    Ole Miss Away
    Mississippi State Away

SEC East
    Florida Home
    South Carolina Home
    Kentucky Away

Non-Conference
    Virginia Tech Home (assuming they don’t back out again)
    Southern Miss Home
    Tulane Superdome
    Louisiana Tech Home

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Re: Look at the garbage nonconference schedule in the first two years of the Twelve G

Northern Illinois has been a pretty respectable program in recent years. I like that matchup and look forward to it. Arizona at home may not be a gimme by that time. Stoops should have things turned around by then. Tulane is nice to see back on the schedule. Some of the most fun I've had in Tiger Stadium was during LSU/Tulane games.

USL? Stop it Skip. Please.

A game against Southern Miss never looks bad, considering their reputation as giant killers over the years. Should be an interesting matchup. Virgina Tech.. hmmm.. not holding my breath waiting for this one to happen.. Tulane at the Dome - could be fun!

La Tech? Stop it Skip. Please.

3. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

It could be worse. Minnesota is adding a rotation of North Dakota, South Dakota State, Montana State, and Northern iowa. Kentucky is looking to hook up Murray State, Eastern and Western Kentucky, and Morehead State. Team such as SMU (based solely on their pre-1986 history) are actually going to Sun Belt campuses to play ball.

We're not going to see SEC, Big XII, Big 10, ACC, or Pac-10 teams going out to load up their non-conference schedules with killer 12th games. LSU does have games with both Arizona's, Virginia Tech ( if, as you pointed out, they don't back out again). To LSU's credit, we are playing the in-state teams. I do not see Alabama or Auburn rushing out to sign UAB or Troy to deals. Instead, they are combing the Southern Conference for games (remember our App State affair is because Houston backed out of a contract). Ole Miss and State are not hauling down to Hattiesburg for USM or to J-State. Arkansas isn't looking to add Arkansas State for that extra game.

It's a tough nut, but the 12th game is revenue and a step toward defusing a potential playoff. The "power" D-1 schools will not run out for the glamour games when there are teams, such as Tulane, that will do just about anything to get a game.

4. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Garbage??? GARBAGE?!?!

Northern Illinois- very respectable and competitive MAC team. Been bowling the last two seasons. NOT A GIMME by any means.

Tulane- they no longer suck every single year. They've made a commitment to getting their athletic program back to respectability and it's starting to pay dividends. They just can't seem to find consistent success; they went 12-0 in 1998, then kinda stumbled a bit, went bowling in 2002, then stumbled again. You just can't tell. Certainly can't overlook them, not with the history we have (I don't want any repeats of what happened in 1982).

Arizona- They suck now. But it wouldn't surprise me if Mike Stoops turns them around. They were great once, they can be again.

UL-Lafayette- Yeah, they are a creampuff. But better an in-state creampuff that'll generate a little local interest and sell out Tiger Stadium than, say, Buffalo or Utah State and have 4K to 8K empty seats.

Virginia Tech- They can't back out now. If they do, no one will ever schedule them for a big-time series ever again. And they are a contender usually every year, so I think it'll be a doozy.

Southern Miss- For years, they were the non-BCS team everyone feared and no one wanted to play. They are good every season. They will also sell out their allotment of tickets and bring some fans. Come to this game; you won't be disappointed (unless we lose, which very well could happen).

Tulane- see above.

Louisiana Tech- was starting to acquire the giant-killer reputation of Southern Miss, but their current coach, a first-class idiot, screwed that up. Until he gets fired, they are nothing to be overly concerned about. Again, refer to my point about UL-Lafayette. Who else are you going to play?

5. gunwoady

gunwoady Founding Member

Re: Look at the garbage nonconference schedule in the first two years of the Twelve G

Dick Tomey doesn't coach AZ anymore, that would be Stoops who seems to be turning the program around. He even beat ASU last year.

6. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

7. MikeDTiger

MikeDTiger Geaux Tigers!!!

It looks like Northern Illinois may be moved to 2011. http://www.star.niu.edu/articles/?id=9352 - "LSU, however, is in the process of being moved to 2011, Collins (NIU Associate Athletics Director) said."

8. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Yes, the younger Stoops, excuse my brain fart.

Dick Tomey came before Mackovic, not after.

9. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

Northern Illinois is a joke. I can see where Tulane is respectable b/c of the rivalry and what not. But NI? LSU will beat them by 30 easy. It'll be a close game until kickoff. Some of those other smaller schools will pose more of a challenge, but LSU should beat them.

10. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Remember that "creampuff" team we had a little trouble with last year, Troy? Only beat them 24-20, you know who I'm talking about?

NIU beat them by two touchdowns in the Silicon Valley Bowl at the end of the year.

2003 upset victims included Maryland and Alabama.

We'd better not take them lightly.