Looking Ahead: What's your opinion regarding offensive philosophy in '05?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerEducated, Jan 25, 2005.

1. FortWorthTiger

FortWorthTiger Founding Member

Sometimes screens are run more to keep the defense honest than for hopes of breaking a big play. My problem with it last year is we couldn't hit the frickin receiver in stride to give him a chance to make a play. BB, I agree ED isn't Clayton out there smearing DBs, but I think Bowe could be.

2. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

The bubble screen did not have the sucess that it had in 2003. However in 2003 it was great and if it returns to that type of play I am all for it. So I think it comes back in 2005 and has the same keep the defense honest. I would think this play is called as a "check with me" play and depends on the qb read.

The backfield is of interest cause I still have it Broussard, Addai then Vincent and also see more of Hester. Still a crowded backfield and that's a good thing.
    Nick Saban liked RB by committee, does anyone know what type of backfield or philosophy Miles may put at LSU.

Receivers and QB's mature and get better. JR now should see it's his team amd take a leadership roll. I wonder if he had in the back of his mind that MR was always going to be there so he (JR) never really stepped up. I think it happens this year.

3. Golden Tiger

Golden Tiger Founding Member

True true true.......
    I hope to see a vertical passing game that will help open the run and bubble screen. IMO if the vertical passing game is successfull then LSU will be very very hard to stop and we will see plenty of TD's each game. :)
    It sure won't hurt to have the power running game either, to wear out the other teams or just to run out the clock in the 4th........Should be some fun to watch LSU with the ball next year, I can't wait.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I doubt if Miles ever had as many horses to use in the backfield as he will at LSU, esepcailly right now. So it's hard to get a feel for how he'll use them IMO.

5. BB

BB Founding Member

I think that if Perrilloux puts on an LSU hat on February 2nd, we will have a good indication of what Coach Miles plans to do and what direction he intends to point all of this offensive firepower.

I'm sure that Perrilloux is demanding reassurance that his future offense will be somewhat high-flying, sexy, and explosive with the opportunity to showcase his running ability (on occasion) and his arm strength on his march to the NFL.

If Coach Miles has sold Perrilloux, he's certainly sold me...

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i guess i'm not impressed with him compared to the others (JA) and recent lsu backs (DD and LT) and other sec backs (fason, brown, williams). i dont think the straight ahead run over them style is as effective. and i think addai hits harder.

7. OpelousasLSUFan

OpelousasLSUFan Founding Member

Gum. i do agree that Addai is a hard runner but do u see the power, size, and speed that Broussard has? Myself i would lik to see a pro form backfield with any two backs in the backfield (Broussar & Vincent or Broussard and Addai ect.) Give Addai the ball and let Broussard blow up a LB at the line for Addai to run or just the opposite.

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i see the power, size, and enough straightaway speed. i dont think he quick enough. and he's too slow to the hole. mostly, i dont think he has "it"---but i think addai might.

9. Veritas

Veritas Founding Member

I see the return of the fullback next season. Hester Is quite a talent. I think he will be used more on like 5 yard outs or swing passes. I think that David Jones will be used a good amount. Once again short yard passes like 5 yards. Every so often a little deep switch to the wide outs. Play-Action will be used about the same amount. I wouldn't consider next years offense a lot more aggresive, just more consistent.

As for the running game...If JV gets the start, we need to run the zone blocking scheme. Give him a little room and he is gone. Zone blocking was the reason he was as successful as he was in 2003. If Broussard gets the nod then we will see what we saw this year. Straight ahead and between the guard and tackle. The occasional toss that isnt really much of a toss(I assume you understand what I'm talking about). When Addai is in the draw play is what we will see.

I hope Miles and Jimbo take advantage of all the weapons.

10. OpelousasLSUFan

OpelousasLSUFan Founding Member

IMO if we do go with a fullback JV will have a much better year than 04.:thumb: