Looking back over the last five years with the playoffs.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TerryP, Jan 2, 2019.

1. kcal

kcal Founding Member

but the 9-6 game wasn't coaching but missed fg's

got it

2. kcal

kcal Founding Member

it says much more about bama and their fan base when after 17 or 27 or however many nc's they're still rustled over the though that somehow they lost 9-6. interesting.

more telling is the notion that bama should always be included in the playoffs but please don't expand them....more opportunities to lose?

how'd that pick play work again?

Winston1 and COTiger like this.
  3. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

It's WAY more than 1 post lol

lsu-i-like and leroy7500 like this.
  4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Busy end of the week...getting back into this discussion this weekend.

I should have used the word fortunate. LSU was fortunate to get out of BDS that day with a win. Lucky isn't the right word.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Isn't the winner of any game between closely matched teams fortunate that enough things went their way to eke out a close victory?

6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Yeah. But saying lucky takes on a different connotation.

Looking at title games and their rankings according to Barnhart the '06 Florida title caught my eye. They lost to Auburn and ended up blocking a UofSC kick along the way. A weird year, took a seldom seen play for their team to get there. '09 Bama vs UT in BDS. You don't see that often.

You can't call the '11 game weird. You don't see it that often. It's unusual to see that many missed field goals. A bit of an anomalously—like Florida blocking the kick on the last second of the game, or Bama blocking two against UT.

Remember in '98 when the Tennessee player literally rolled over the defender from Memphis? That continued their run but you can't tell me he wasn't lucky that day. Keeping your feet in that situation—weird, fortunate, lucky...

7. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Are you trying to convince us that maybe Les Miles isn’t the most innovative coach?

kcal and TerryP like this.
  8. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Wernher von Miles?

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Ol' Les had his moments. Some of his fourth down calls were innovative, wouldn't you say?

He certainly was stubborn but this is something we've talked about since the days of Ryan P.—trying to take an athlete and make him a quarterback instead of looking for a quarterback who is also athletic. However, on that same note, that was right at the cusp of seeing more RPO action in today's game so he was a bit ahead of the curve there.

I suspect in 10 or 15 years Miles will be remembered a lot more fondly than he is today.

lsu-i-like and kcal like this.
  10. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I and many remember some of his time fondly, he did a lot of good at LSU, but he was not ahead of his time. Wanting a mobile QB is great, but he had no fricking clue how to deliver it.

We haven’t sniffed a NC since Nick got a second chance and snatched it from Miles. Orgeron is still trying to fix the deficiencies Miles left (whether he’s the guy to do it is another question).