Lot of talk of dirty play on USC Cockytalk forum

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by K_Jay, Sep 23, 2007.

1. K_Jay

K_Jay Founding Member

The only plays I recall that looked bad was when one of our players pushed one of there players, Boyd i believe, head down when he was getting back up from being tackled. Also Favorite throwing Smellys helmet after a facemask. Both pretty stupid and I hope Miles talks to them about this. We don't need that image. They talk a lot about one of our players spearing Captain Mulhomy(?) when he was down. I didn't see that play. Also of couse they b*tch about blocks in the back and holding, facemasks (they seem to think the one by Favorite was intentional) , etc.

2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

It happens every game, though I was disappointed in Murphy...that was a cheap shot and dangerous.

3. edyel

edyel edyel

The Murphy hit was the only obvious bad hit. The Steltz "heard round the SEC" hit was fair and legal. Football can be a brutal sport and when playing in TS it WILL be a brutal sport. They can get their chance again by getting to Atlanta. Until then they need to stfu and accept the fact that they lost.:thumb:

4. Lprimo

Lprimo Pimpin Aint Easy

Richard Murphy speared a guy on the kickoff...dude was laying on the ground. Richard dives, and spear's him right in the back of the head. It was bad, I thought the guy was seriously hurt. He got up and walk off.

5. eL eS shU

eL eS shU Founding Member

The spearing of Captain was when he got hurt returning a kickoff. 1:04 left in the first half. Richard Murphy dove head first into captain's back/neck/helmet while he was laying on his ground

As far as the whole game being dirty though.... idk. i saw the (game)cocks giving the tigers helmet pats after tackles and whatnot. it looked like good sportsmanship to me.

6. CocksFan41

CocksFan41 Freshman

As a Gamecock fan, I only saw two times when I thought that a play was dirty, both of which have been mentioned here (boyds face being pushed into the ground, and the spear in the back on that kickoff) they were bad, but didn't affect the outcome of the game. We just got beat by a better team, no excuses and no hard feelings. Good luck the rest of the year and hope to see you in atlanta.:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  7. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I think the problem most of them had with the dirty play...particularly the two plays mentioned above...is that no flags were thrown on those two plays. They were, indeed, dirty plays. Richard Murphy definitely speared Cap'n Munnerlyn...and he did it late, to make it worse. The other play was unsportsmanlike...but not too bad. Just a stupid spur of the moment bad decision...that we got away with.

Steltz hit was awesome...and although a lot of them are complaining about it too...that's foosball, baby. It's a contact sport...no...it's a COLLISION sport...and Steltz is a BEAST!

Also, a lot of them are complaining that the fake FG is an illegal play...as Flynn's knee is down. They're wrong on that one...they just don't know the rules. That's OK...MOST fans don't know all the rules. But if I were them...before I'd go calling it illegal...I'd check first.

I won't apologize to anyone for us getting a few calls...or a few no calls in this case...after the AU game last year. We had it coming...and yesterday it came OUR way.

8. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I still cringe thinking about that play by Murphy. The fact he wasnt called for a penalty has to be upsetting the Cocks but it didnt effect the outcome. That play could have been REALLY bad and it was the worse thing I've seen out of an LSU player in quite a while.

9. eL eS shU

eL eS shU Founding Member

my favorite hit by far was darry beckwith's sack!!

looked like Laron was back in the game!

10. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

I will say LSU plays violent football, that is what the game is about. I didn't see the plays in question but LSU is all about brutal football within the rules. Folks occasionally crossing the line is different than when those tactics are obviously coached.