Lower Division Heisman winner???

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LOTTERY, Aug 15, 2004.

1. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

What would you think of a I-AA player winning the trophy. Should I-AA players be given consideration. I believe Steve McNair and Doug Williams finished in Top 3 in the race while playing in I-AA. Seeing how good, McNair now is, isn't it possible the best player in college football could be in I-AA?

2. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

It is certainly possible that the best player is in AA but that is really irrelevant to the Heisman. It's another subjective award. How many lineman have won it? It's as much about hype as anything else.

To win it a player really needs to not only play 1-A but on a great team. Realistically I really can't ever see it happening.

3. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Walter Payton Award
    The Sports Network established the Walter Payton Player of the Year Award in 1987, and it is presented annually to the most outstanding college football player on the Division I-AA level. The winner is chosen by a nationwide panel of media and college sports information directors from the division. When the award was established, it was the only such award to be presented to an indiviual player in I-AA football. It has since been joined by the Buck Buchanan Award, which was established in 1995.

Payton, who played his college ball for Jackson State, set the NCAA record for points scored in a career with 464. He scored 66 touchdowns for the Tigers, while rushing for 3,563 yards. Payton also kicked five field goals and 53 PATs. in his four-year career at JSU, he set nine school records, six of which still stand today.

However, Payton's collegiate accomplishments pale in comparison to the numbers he posted in his professional career. He is the NFL's all-time leading rusher with 16,726 yards, and the Chicago Bears all-time leading scorer with 750 points. Upon his retirement, Payton was the holder of eight NFL records and 28 Bear records. In 1977, at the age of 23, Payton became the youngest player to be voted NFL MVP. He added a second league MVP award following the 1985 season. During his 13-year NFL career, Payton was named to the Pro Bowl nine times. He was also named a member of the NFL's prestigious 75th anniversary Team.

As active as he was on the field, Payton was equally active in charity work off the field. He was honorary chairman for the 1983 Heart Association Jump Rope for Health, and for the Illinois Mental Health Association from 1978 through 1980. Payton was also involved with the Boy Scouts, March of Dimes, Brian Piccolo Research Fund, United Way and the Peace Corps.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

It might be possible that in some years the best player is at a D1AA school but its just about impossible that he would ever win the Heisman. Jerry Rice was probably the best college player when he was at Mississippi Valley State and he put up some incredible numbers but to have any shot at the Heisman you have to be on TV a lot and play either quarterback or running back. Yes, Tim Brown won as a receiver but he played for Notre Dame. Charles Woodson won as a DB/receiver but he played for Michigan. McNair could have thrown for 10,000 yards and 80 touchdowns but the Heisman voters would have never seen him play.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

And the detractors will always question what a Div 1AA stud would have done against 1A competition.

6. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Brown and Woodson also returned kicks.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Is there anybody who really believes that Jason White was the best football player in the NCAA last year?

8. duckgoose

duckgoose Freshman

A better question would be does anyone believe Jason White was even close to being the best player on his own team last season.

:eek:lefire: