LSU - 1908 National Champions??

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TBTrumpet, Jan 7, 2005.

1. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

I know LSU doesn't claim it, but I wonder why? Several football web sites accredit LSU with it.

LSU was 10-0, beat Texas A&M, Auburn, and Arkansas, and out scored opponents 442-11.

God forbide we turn into Alabama or USC and claim national championships several decades later...... but still..... it's ours, isn't it?

2. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Wow, that's pretty hardcore to go back a 100 years :) :) :)

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

But as soon as LSU claimed it, there would be USC whining they were co champs!

4. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

I wonder if we can go back and claim these too :confused:

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Most schools only claim national championships after the advent of modern football rules and the NCAA in the late 30's. Before that there were many different rules. Also colleges would play athletic clubs, military teams, tiny colleges, etc. It just wasn't easy to pick a champion.

Also, in addition to the major polls there are many minor polls that have named champions. LSU has two major-poll, modern NC's--1958 and 2003. But LSU has also been named NC on early systems or on minor polls in 1908, 1935, 1936, and 1962.

For instance when Bama claims 12 or more championships they are counting them all. But they have only 7 major-poll, modern championships. So when a Bammer tells you they have 12 NC's, tell them that LSU has 6!

See: College Football Data Warehouse for all of the data.

6. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Guys, Alabama has won every NC since 1908...let's just give up trying to claim any

7. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

Much debate about that stuff. Most schools only recognize the wire services such as the AP and UPI, now the coaches poll. I think the AP wire service started in the late 30s or early 40s.

I read somewhere the other day that OU could claim 17 if it chose to include every poll since 1869. We don't though. We only officially claim 7 that are through the AP and Coaches polls.

8. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

Hey I'm not whining about anything. I just watch thre tape of the LSU game about once a week and forget anything about MNCs. :lol:

9. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

i heard from an OU fan that LSU's NC in 1908 was the first southern team to win a National Championship.

10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Ole Miss claims championships for years they finished first in the Dunkel and Sagarain systems. How pathetic is that.