LSU #2 in Coaches, #1 in AP Poll, #2 in Harris Poll

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by areed7, Sep 30, 2007.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I know this is a hot topic but let me throw this out. We can keep saying that the AP National Championship is not a Championship all we want but the fact of the matter is that it is ONE of the recognized National Championships by most college fans.

No, it's not the BCS Championship that we've agreed to and no, it's not the "Big prize" at the end of the year. Given the choice, I'd take the designated BCS game to name a National Champion, and the crystal, without thinking twice; however, technically, they're all "Mythical Championships" anyway.

Just cause we choose to turn our heads to it, doesn't mean, as insignificant as it may be, that it fails to exist. Not on the same grounds as far as merits but kinda like sanctioning bodies such as the WBA, WBC, and IBF. Admittingly, this is a weak analogy but the concept should be evident.

This is a link from an NCAA.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html

Now, maybe I'm missing the boat cause I honestly can't see just writing it off. Splain please, I will keep my mouth shut and get learned. I know red has been begging for someone to ask this. :)

2. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Pre-BCS, the AP and Coaches Poll (former UPI Poll) were the two most widely recognized polls, although there were many over the years. Since college football has a mythical championship, anyone can create a poll and crown a champion. That's why Bama fans claim more titles than most say they have. Some insignificant poll said they were #1 and they claimed it.

For better or worse, the BCS was created and all the BCS conferences agreed to its rules, including SC. Coaches and players sets its goal before the season starts to be playing in the BCSNCG. There is no substitute for it.

The AP poll won't go away b/c the media won't allow that to happen. They don't want to become irrelevant in crowning college football's mythical champion. The AP poll, like any poll, can still name its champion, but the BCS champion is the real champion until another system is created.

Until the NCAA sanctions a system to determine a champion, it will always be mythical and the debate will continue. But it is pretty lame to give any respect to polls that are not part of the BCS system.

3. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Poll schmoll... celebrate when we're #1 in mid-January. In the meantime, we got work to do. :)