LSU AD Says Non-Conference Opponents Are Scared

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CollegeFanatic55, May 20, 2015.

1. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Just raise ticket price 10 fold.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Penn State, Clemson, and Notre Dame disagree.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

LSU tries to schedule home-and-home arrangements with major teams, but most don't like it for the same reason that we don't. 8- and 9-game conference schedules leave very few dates available to fill the home stadium. LSU needs a minimum of 7 and preferably 8 home games to pay all of the bills and have a few million left over to donate to the academic departments. It requires teams that are willing to play here and not get a return date in their stadium. There are not many such teams available and they are mostly smaller colleges just trying to make a buck. These neutral stadium dates are ways to schedule major opponents and get a big payout with a low overhead.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I would rather keep on playing a big time opponent at a neutral site on the opening weekend that have home and homes. LSU makes more money from such a game than they would by playing the same team in Tiger Stadium and then they don't have to give the other team a return game in their stadium where LSU would make nothing. LSU an TCU both got about $5 Million from playing at Jerry World in 2014. If the played in Tiger Stadium LSU would have made their usual $3 Million and would have had to play a return game at TCU's 45,000 seat stadium in Fort Worth.

5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Where are you getting the $3 million figure for a home game? I'm not doubting its authenticity, just curious as to where you came across those numbers.

FWIW, the revenue from last years game against WVU in ATL to start the season is estimated to be about $6.4 million. (Actual numbers come in June or July.) Last season, the estimated revenue for a game in Bryant-Denny was a little over the $4 million mark.

(Ole Miss opened against Boise State the day before Bama played WVU: estimated revenue is 3.1.)

I'm with you on the home and home series. Especially when you consider playing a Power Five team one year and making money versus losing that revenue the return trip.

OH, one more little note: The Chick-Fil-A classic played in 2008 where Bama played Clemson had a payout of $4.2 million. I won't be the least bit surprised if the payout for the game against USC year after next in Jerry World pulls in $8 - $10 million.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I have heard it mention several times on sports talk shows as well as seen it in the newspaper and online. It's probably a pretty accurate number depending on the status of the opponent and how much the have to pay them: Maybe $450,000 for a Houston Baptist, $750,000 for a D1 foe like ULM

TerryP likes this.
  7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yes, yes you are.

8. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

APR scores are beginning to come out and they are normally published about a month, month and a half, before we start seeing revenue/expense reports.

If you happened to run across an article or report breaking these down (further than what ope.ed.gov/ does) will you point me in that direction? I'd love read over the reports.

BTW, now that I'm thinking about it...have you ever seen any figures on how much of an impact a home game has on the local business owners in Baton Rouge?

Since you've decided to tell me what I'm thinking, again, tell me this: why would I doubt that number? It makes perfect sense. In the expansion on the upper deck a few years ago there were 70 skyboxes added to TS. Now, I don't know the total number, but I have to think with BDS having 159, and that's not including "The Zone," a difference of $750,000 to $1,000,000?

Makes. Perfect. Sense. .

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I haven't seen any figures but its obvious that a home game has a great impact for local restaurants, hotels, gas stations, beer and liquor vendors and many others. That local impact is of course greater when LSU plays a major foe like Alabama. But for LSU itself all the tickets and skyboxes are sold and paid for no what the actual attendence. But when the stadium is full they sell more at the concession stands. With as tough as the SEC is its a juggling act to schedule attractive OOC opponents while balanceing the schedule with rent-a-wins so as to give themselves a shot at the playoffs.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

TerryP likes this.