LSU All-Time team

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BostonBengal, Feb 6, 2005.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Freshmen were not eligible when Casanova played. He was a 3-time All-American --each of his 3 varsity years (1969, 1970, 1971). Booger was All-American only in 1998, but a four-year starter.

2. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

HEY!!! Give me SOME credit, Red. Of the 54 players on my list, 15 of them played before I was even born ('77)! ...and I don't remember anybody playing for the Tigers pre '85-'86! I was too young to remember! I tried! ;) :hihi:

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Boston, I'll give you credit, before I read Red's post I was thinking that you had actually done a prety decent job with the older fella's.

Red, you on the other hand maybe went a little too far in excluding recent guys like Webster, Spears, Big Ben(although your 3 centers were great ones). But your list is a great one.

The best thing about these internet lists though is they bring back names from the past and hopefully cause many of the younger fans to realize there is a whole lot of tradition of great players that played at LSU before they started watching LSU football. I also hope it causes many of them to buy at least one of the great books written on LSU football and learn where the program came from and how it was built.

4. BostonBengal

In the process of reading "Greatest Moments in LSU Football" ...I'm in the '62 season. :D

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You caught me! I copy/pasted this list from a post I made in a thread here about two years ago. At that time Spears and Webster had not completed their LSU careers.

I hereby replace Billy Truax on the three-deep DE list with Marcus Spears. But as good as Webster is, it's difficult to bump any of the nine listed defensive backs to put him on the 3-deep chart. I saw them all play except Stovall (who was Heisman runner-up) and they were all very good. Maybe Marcus Quinn has to go to #4, however. Webster finished a two-time All-American, after all.

You always have to leave off guys that you really like. I wanted Stephen Peterman on this list but there was no room. Ditto Johnny Robinson, Doc Fenton, and Jarvis Green.

6. FortWorthTiger

FortWorthTiger Founding Member

I'll take Clayton over any receiver on that list. He may not have had Reed's gaudy numbers, but he is one of the best football players I have ever seen.

7. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

Red, Some good natured ribbing :yelwink2:

Chuck Wiley played defensive tackle ('94-'97)
    Nacho couldn't hold Ben Wilkerson's jock strap. (He played ok his senior year.)

AJ Duhe & Dan Alexander played DT, not DE. My gosh, Dan Alexander, he played a little OL in the pros, but all time LSU, I think not. Marcus Quinn was OK, not all-time, though. Not so sure about Van Buren, but I'll concede that one to you.

Definitely ones you should add - George Attiyeh, George Bevan, Kenny Bordelon, Brad Boyd, Benji Thibodeax Corey Webster, & Marcus Spears, But Dan Alexander????

8. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Nice list, but I can't help but think something looks wrong about a Heisman runner-up not even making the first team, especially since he was a two-way player.

9. BostonBengal

Because I honestly think Kevin Faulk, as an all-purpose back, with the school record for TD's in a season, career TD's and career all-purpose yards, are more impressive.

10. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

That's what makes these lists so fun IMO, we all have a difference of opinion. But never go on just stats alone as the game as changed dramatically over every couple of decades. Heck Cannon's stats wouldn't even be noticed now and he won the Heisman. Stovall was a great 2 way player and is one of the greatest Tigahs ever. I would put him at safety since that is where he played in the NFL.