LSU All-Time team

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BostonBengal, Feb 6, 2005.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I agree. My goal was to see other people's opinions. I was hoping to learn some more about other former Tiger greats that I didn't know enough about (otherwise, I would have had them on my list :D)

Perhaps it's because I wasn't around when Stoval played, nor have I heard any stories about him, to make an impression on me. I know he was Heisman runner-up, which, by today's standards, is damn impressive. But I also remember vividly, as Kevin Faulk delighted all of Louisiana and Tiger fans across the country, when he announced he would by-pass the NFL and stay on for his Sr. season where he followed his announcement up with an LSU record-breaking season statistically, and gave everyone associated with LSU a HUGE uplift.

THe only member of my family that could have shared stories of Stoval with me, was my uncle, who was sadly killed when he fell off my cousin's rooftop helping with the roofing, during the middle of the '03 season. Ironically, he was a season ticket holder beginning in '58 and had been to EVERY football game in Tiger Stadium up to the time of his death. My uncle spoke of Cannon mostly, and Ronnie Estay as well as all other Tiger staters that had come from the South Lafourche area. But nothing about Stoval--at least, not anything of profound substance. ...and he was a HUGE Faulk fan....So, I figured, with ALL the great RB's to come out of LSU, he had seen them all in person, and if Cannon and Faulk were atop his mind, then that was good enough for me.

2. NCTiger

NCTiger Founding Member

Billy Truax played tight end for the Rams for many years. Didn't he play the same position when he was a Tiger. Heck, I should remember because I was there, but I don't. I do remember that he sat in front of me in one of my classes and I never saw the blackboard all year. He had the longest neck I ever saw on a human.
    BTW, I don't know how Stovall's stats would line up against today's studs, but I was a frosh there in his senior year and we reveared him like a God. He was beat out for the Heisman because there were many candidates from the South in '62 and only the Duck west of the Mississippi.

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

NCTiger, I know the Truax family a little. I was a big Holy Cross Hish School fan grwoing up and they had a legion of them go there. All of them were very goos high svhool players and Billy was alwys one on my favs since he was from Holy Cross and LSU, but I hated the Rams. :)

Boston, sorry to hear about your uncle, that's a shame he never got to attend the Sugar Bowl NC game. I'm sure he was cheering from up above. Faulk was a great one and does deserve to be on the select list. There is no way we can have a definitive All Time team with just one player at each postion in my opinion, these lists and posts illustrate that I think. We had many a great Tigah at all positions.

I think we sould had an all time great return man to these lists as well. Casanova, Grezaffi(?), Faulk, Kennison and little Jimmy Ledoux are the ones that pop into my mind. Along with Skyler and DD.

4. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member