LSU and our lack of a true Rivalry

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by b L e S e U r, May 22, 2004.

1. b L e S e U r

b L e S e U r Founding Member

The Choices?

I hate Ole Miss. :eek:lefire: :eek:lefire: :eek:lefire: Ole Miss has been the closest thing we have had to a rival, but I'm just not feeling it these days.

I hate Alabama, but they hate others more than we hate them

I hate Auburn, and they hate us - but not as much as they hate alabama. Which makes me more mad. I truly despise auburn :po: more than any other team. (no offense to their civilized visitors to this forum. I despise auburn - not auburns entire fanbase)

I hate Mississippi State. But nobody cares about them anymore :nope:. Besides, MSU hates Ole Miss more than they hate us.

I don't hate Arkansas. Not to mention, that out of all the SEC teams, even counting Vanderbilt- Arkansas, to me, doesnt fit. Most Tiger fans (south Louisianians) dont feel as connected geographically to arkansas as the rest of the SEC west. Perhaps this is why we ignore the opportunity to form a true hated rival for the modern day. OR Maybe people are just too happy :thumb: and stuffed :eek: the day after thanksgiving, that they just can't 'get it up' :hihi: for the arkansas game, and therefore potential anger gives way to overstuffed friendliness.

I also despise :angryfire Florida and the underachieving :dis: UT Longhorns but they cannot be our rivals. And Vanderbilt broke Cecil Collins' leg! :angry:

:laflagwav Tulane? No.

Georgia? There is a rivalry brewing more and more with every big game we have, and with UGA and LSU emerging as East and West powerhouses, respectively, there could be an interesting rivalry in the making...but still, no. I dont feel the hatred.

So who's it gonna be? I'm stumped. :cuss:

2. Marsheezi

Marsheezi Founding Member

Tennessee had the makings of a rivalry several years ago...

First we upset them in OT in Tiger Stadium. Then we get beat in Knoxville, and then repay the favor in the SECCG. Ruining their NATL Title hopes was greatness, seeing orange roses crumpled up on the Atlanta street brought a tear to my eye.

But not playing them as often as teams in the west kinda put a damper on the rivalry of it. And believe me, I like to make fun of Tennessee fans EVERY chance i get.

And as far as Fulmer goes.... dont get me started on the Great Pumpkin Himself

[​IMG]

BUT, we dont play them again til like 2007 soooo....

3. b L e S e U r

Truly Pumpkinish.

4. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Right now, I'd have to say that I hate UGA the most. I hope they don't win anymore SEC titles or national titles for that matter. I hope we continue to b|tch slap them and dwarf their accomplishments. I love to hate them. Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :geaux:

5. Marsheezi

UGA is a team living in the past.

okay there most recent sec title was won against crap ass ARK who managed to put up a whopping 3pts (correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure it was alot to a little).

greene WAS a good quarterback, shockley will be a good quarterback if allowed enough starts to help build his confidence rather than pick up green's slack.

Mr. Billy Bennett was the biggest game blower i've ever seen. the most overhyped kicker since Wide Richey.

And David Pollack not only hangs out in Coates bathroom, but is equally as overhyped as Bennett was. Okay two years ago the guy was good. He had alot of tackles, sacks, and an amazing int. against South Carolina. But this year he flopped, and next year will prob be mediocre.

They like to relive their past accomplishments. But this year will be no different.

I cant wait til LSU stomps a mud hole in their ass in Athens. :geaux:

6. b L e S e U r

I created a new word: "Nemisistical Cycle"

One thing that will hamper the possibility of a further developing LSU/UGA rivalry is that this is the last of the two year series between the two teams. After this year we will have to hope to get them in Atlanta.

By the time the cyclical two year series between east and west teams gets back to an LSU UGA 2 year series, the entire situation will have most likely changed giving the volatile nature of changing SEC powers. I just hope LSU will still be sitting at the top when that date comes.

So - UGA is our most anticipated and most competitive 2003-2005 competition, with a seemingly good chance of another 3-5 years of intense postseason clashes by 2010. So we may be each other's nemesis for this decade. But what about an LSU rival? Or will we simply continue to have these short nemisis -tical cycles, resulting in an even distribution of hate towards the rest of the football world.

Perhaps these are better, the nemisistical cycles that is, because geographically speaking, if we can't have a true rival, we might as well spread our fightin tiger wrath over the entire geographical football world and stake a few more flags on some different mountains of dominance. Does this make sense to anyone?

Our Rival?

7. Marsheezi

very good point. I wasnt suggesting that they should be our rival, i just saw a just oppourtunity to bash.
    =========================================================================

FLORIDA is def. our rival if anybody.

All those years of spurrier putting it on us, LSU knocking them off of a #1 spot, then spurrier leaves and we rejoice, LSU runs shop in gainesville, then they come to BR this past year and hand us our only loss of a natl. champ. season.

Florida has a young quarterback who will only get better with time, and a program that is know for bringing in good talent. And with Florida being the only East team that we play year in and year out, the blows will continue to be exchanged.

Plus Florida is the team that everybody loves to hate. The fans are pricks, the coaches are cocky, and the team is full of thugs.

how could it be anybody else???

although, it would be so much better if spurrier were still there.......

8. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

One of the intangables that makes the SEC the best conference in the nation is that the feeling of competition is so strong that we can consider every other SEC team to be our most hated rivals. I know that most people won't really care about the MSU and Vandy games too much, but for all intends and purposes, those games are just as important as the Florida and Georgia games. I don't know about you, but I sure as hell don't want to lose to MSU or Vandy and I'll show just as much team spirit as any other game.

As for Arkansas: twice already they have dashed our hopes and dreams of going to Atlanta when we played them in Little Rock: the first time in 2000 with a 17-3 lose which allowed Auburn to represent the west instead of us, and the second time in 2002 (and we all know what happened that time) when they were allowed to represent the west instead of us. Plus, that's our Golden Boot and they can't have it!! It matches our school colors better than theirs. So, when Turkey Day +1 rolls around this year, I won't have any trouble "getting it up" and showing my spirit.

So, basicly, what I'm saying is that even though we don't have one "true" rival, we do have eleven smaller but not insignificant rivals. And I love beating the hell out of all of them!!

9. b L e S e U r

This is very true and is the overall nature of the SEC. Within that overall picture there are underlying and more intense 'true' rivalries, of which we have no part of in any. Florida v Georgia. Auburn v. Alabama. Miss ST. v Ole Miss. Tennessee v. Auburn. The only teams without an true inner-SEC rival are Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Arkans-ass, and LSU.

I'm perfectly happy without a true rival, and enjoy giving equally drunken negative energy towards each opponent. I don't discriminate between which opoonents to bash. I bash them all the same. (Except maybe a little more vulgarly when playing auburn).

I like the 11 rivals anaylisis.

Marsheezi so far has my rival vote with his Florida analysis. But the thing is, Florida has many other true rivals- like Florida State, Georgia, etc. Does this minimize the intensty of our yearly battles? NO, but it dampers the rivalry factor, as our fans are more into the series then theirs may be.

10. Marsheezi

and how could i be so blind.

NOT ONLY FOOTBALL do we hate florida
    BUT BASKETBALL TOO!

Matt Walsh is the biggest toolbag ive ever seen on the court.

2 words NICE HEADBAND!
    [​IMG]

David Lee is the biggest loser to ever sport the colors.

I love to get in their heads when they come to the PMAC. I'm dedicated to making Walsh cry next time they come to town.

HEY WALSH! YOU SUCK!
    HEY WALSH! YOU SUCK!
    HEEEEEEYYYYYY WALSH!
    YOUUU SUCK!