LSU and our lack of a true Rivalry

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by b L e S e U r, May 22, 2004.

1. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

Don't take this the wrong way but....for the vast majority of Auburn fans, LSU is a distant 4th or even 5th on our rivals list. bama is clearly #1 and it's a toss up between Tenn. and Ga. for #2. I know Auburn has become somewhat a rival in the minds of LSU fans but I think it is one of those temporary things, brought on by your dislike for Tuberville and a few unfortunate incidents. Except for some smack talk on internet boards Auburn-LSU is not a big rivalry for Auburn fans. If Ole Miss ever has a rise to success again, ya'll will forget your dislike of Auburn in a hurry. JMHO :grin:

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

:eek:lefire: success again? :confused: :confused:

You must be referring to a season or two of 10 win season success in the seventies.

3. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

From what i've heard about the Nebraska-OU rivalry, it was never as big as Texas-OU. This didn't make sense to me since the NU-OU clash ALWAYS decided the Big 8 and an Orange Bowl berth. B

But Barry Switzer and other old Okies will tell you that the Nebraska game was never as big as Texas. Back in the 70's when these two rivalries blossomed, OU and NU fought like heck because the stakes were always so high. But Switzer and Osborne were pals and their games were clean.

On the other hand, Switzer and Royal hated each other. Switzer's staff got caught spying at UT practices. the recruiting practices then were even more cutthroat than today because of the conference letter of intent rules.

On top of that most of OU's players come from Texas, so there is a near in-state rival component. To top it all off, their game is played in Dallas every year with a truly neutral setup.

4. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Tulane University is and will always be LSU's traditional rival.

We really hate each other good.

; )

5. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

#1 Rivalry Rules:
    1) You have to play your # 1 rival annually.
    2) Both schools have to consider the other their # 1 rival.

It's ok not to have a # 1 rival... as it usually involves teams in the same state or a border war... unless your a military school.

6. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

I consider every SEC team as our rival. I have disdain for every last one of them. However, if i had to pick one, it would be Auburn. I hate Auburn.