LSU and our lack of a true Rivalry

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by b L e S e U r, May 22, 2004.

1. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

Yeah, but LSU needs a traditional every year rival. All the other SEC schools like AU, Ala, Miss. Ole Miss all have a rival they hate more than each other regardless of the records going into the game.

Even Kentucky has the Cardinals. Alabama vs Auburn will be big no matter what. LSU does not have a rival like that in football. The big game for Ole Miss and Miss. State is each other every year no matter what.

LSU used to have that with Tulane, but now LSU does not have it. Yeah, every SEC game is big and I hate Ole Miss., but Ole Miss hates Miss. State more than us. Same with South Carolina and Clemson and UGA and Ga. Tech.

2. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

Yeah, you are right about Arkansas and Tulane being potential every year rivals. It makes sense. Arkansas has no SEC true rival and Tulane is the only other instate school with any history.

Look at Michigan. They have Ohio State as a border war Michigan State as an instate rival.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

LSU had a traditional in-state rival for many decades--Tulane. There was "The Rag" whch went to the annual winner and many pranks like Tulane students painting Mike the Tiger green or LSU students seeding "LSU" in rye grass in Tulane stadium timed to come up the morning of the game. But Tulane then quit the SEC and got really bad in football (25 straight losses to LSU) and we eventually had to drop them as an annual opponent. They just don't qualify anymore as a traditional rival--except in baseball maybe.

No, since Tulane's abdication of the rivalry, LSU's main rival has been whoever stood between LSU and the SEC championship. In the 60s it was Ole Miss. It was Bama in the 70's and 80's. In the 1990's it was Florida and in this century it has been Auburn. But Auburn seems to have peaked below the top tier and in the next few years our main rival will probably be Georgia. :geaux:

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I would put our rivals in this order:

1) Auburn
    2) Ole Miss
    3) Florida
    4) Alabama
    5) Georgia

You can't list an SEC team from the other division as your chief rival when you don't even play them every year. Makes no sense. Now if we end up playing Georgia in the SEC CG 3 or 4 more times in the next 5 to 6 years, then you can maybe move them up towards the top of the list. Until then, no.

Over the long haul, I would place Ole Miss, then Alabama as 1 and 2.

5. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

This is for all the folks on here that think Alabama's biggest rival is Auburn.... Wrong!!!!! Its Tennessee.. Auburn was just a tick on Bama's ass for a long time and Tennessee has always been the bitter rival. Auburn is only in the mix because they are in State. Remember Bear Bryant called them that cow school down the road. Thats how much he thought of Auburn. So I guess the point of the this post is Auburn and LSU are a huge rival we hate them and they hate us period. I don't think, I really don't think Auburn fans hate anybody more then they hate LSU. Also remember Auburn has played UGA more then Alabama. UGA was huge for a long time for Auburn. LSU and Auburn used to not play all the time they played Florida and UGA. I mean Bama used the scout team against Auburn for a long time and still won.

That is what makes a rivalry winning and hating We hate Auburn and They hate us and the series is pretty close now too since we let them back in in the 90s.

But I still say "Geaux To Hell Ole Miss" and I call them Tulane "The Green Weenies" :grin:

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

LSU will always have a rivalkry with our Western conference allies and with UF since we play them every year but as far as most hated, that goes to Auburn simply because of the recent history and due to the fact that the younger fans just don't "GET" the Ole Miss rivalry. Ole Miss fans hate MSU but they look to the LSU game as the one that they most want to win whereas vs State they don't want to lose. The OLE MISS/LSU rivalry was one of the top 3 or 4 in the nation during the lkate 50's, 50's and early 70's and could once again move back up into the stratosphere if both programs stay up at the top, which hasn't happened. LSU as well as Ole Miss had way too many up and down years in the 20 years prior to last season for the rivalry to sustain itself on a national scale. They are our best rival over the course of time and I think when every thing shakes out they will continue to be so.

Florida is our next big game simply due to the fact that they are pretty much always good now and if we stay on track this one could become our biggest game year in and year out due to the title implications and we could end up playing them twice a year for several years in the future.

Arkansas is the out of conference team we had played the most in our history other than Tulane and not too many people realize that because most of the games were in the early part of the 1900's. We sometimes played them twice a year I believe. The winner of the Arkansas/LSU game has went on to the SEC CG 3 years in a row and if that trend continues it will become a bigger game every year and one of things that will make that so is the fact that they are very hard to beat up there for us. But I just don't know if they can sustain being at the top of the conference with Nutt as their head coach and all of the arrests and other problems they keep having. Next season they should not be as good as they have been the last few years.

Toolame is not our rival, they were once and the rivalry should have ended in the 50's. When you beat a team for 25 straight years it takes the luster off of the rivalry. We should not play them in football at all, never again IMO. We need to play Public Institutions that need LSU's help with funding instead of giving millions to Toolame for playing at LSU. It was their decision to de-emphasize sports and drop out of the SEC and ruin their own fanbase so they should not get our help when it come to keeping their program afloat.

7. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Not to claim that the rivalry between UT and Bama hasn't become bitter in recent years - it definitely has - but to to make the statement that Bama's biggest rival is not Auburn, or vice versa shows very little knowledge of the college game. You should consider educating yourself before you broadcast your knowledge level....... :hihi:

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

The Clemson-South Carolina rivalry makes Auburn-Alabama look like butt buddies.

9. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Not so fast, CA. I lurk the Bama and Auburn boards quite a bit. Bama is much more caught up in the Tennessee rivalry than the Auburn one. They simply dismiss and disrespect Auburn, but they hate and loath Tennessee. You are seeing the Bama/Auburn rivalry through orange & blue glasses. :cool: