LSU and our lack of a true Rivalry

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by b L e S e U r, May 22, 2004.

1. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Yep, that's how I see it. Everybody does, except USC, what a nice fit.

2. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I started listening to LSU games in 1958 with my Dad (I was 6). For most of my years as a fan, the road to the top passed through Alabama, more years than not. They have their problems now, but Francione's last year they could have won the SEC if not on probation, and they whipped us that year.

I think Alabama will be back one day. For longevity of the rivalry, playing them every year, and the ability to impact standings decade in and out, my biggest rival is ALABAMA.

I work with a guy who went to Bama, he shot the game films for them for a few years. He says what has been reported here, they think their biggest rival is Tennessee.

3. pensacola

pensacola Founding Member

Q: If you could only beat one team by a score of 55-0 next year, who would it be?

A: USC-california

4. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

I wouldn't be one of those, I think LSU has better players at almost every position except QB, and we are ok there with our young guys coming up.

We are better across the board in the secondary, linebackers, both lines, RB, WR & TE IMO.

remember UF lost 12 senior starters last year, so they are inexperienced also.

Their line play has never been great even under spurrier and doesn't look to improve that much this year.

also we have better coaches.
    :lsug:
    :champs:
    :911:

5. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

Easy question :eek:lefire:

from days of old.

always go back to the days of old.

Go to Oxford and ask them who their biggest rival is and 90% won't say MSU they will say LSU.

They hate LSU.

6. b L e S e U r

b L e S e U r Founding Member

Conclusion:

We have many storied series with many SEC teams.

But the general feeling that I have gathered is that there are three teams despised anuually and three games anticipated year in and year out because of pure intensity on the field and between fans:

Florida
    Auburn
    Ole Miss

.....are the three most popular teams for Tiger fans to consider a true rival.

Coincidentally..........? - THEY ALL HAVE A BLUE-ISH SHADE COMBINED WITH AN RED-ISH OR ORANGE-SHADE !!!

7. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

With all due respect I think some of you are missing the point. The saturday before thanksgiving is rivalry saturday on this day most of the time you have

Michigan-Ohio State, Cal-Stanford, USC-UCLA, Alabama-Auburn, Harvard-Yale, Minnesota-Iowa or Minnesota-Wisconsin, Purdue-Indiana, Tenn-UK, Wash-Wash. State.

The Thanksgiving weekend you have Texas-TAMU, Florida-FSU, and now LSU-Arkansas.

Other traditional rivalry games are USC-ND, ND-Michigan, Purdue-ND, Michigan State-ND, Florida St-Miami, Michigan-Michigan State, Oklahoma-Texas.

Those games have long established histories. Look at ND, they have the most rivalry games and they all mean something. ND vs. Mich. MSU, Purdue, USC are big games given the history and geography. USC, Purdue, and MSU have the most wins against ND and Michigan-ND will always be big even when ND is down. USC was one of the first cross sectional big time games. MSU and ND played in the game of the century in the 10-10 tie in 1966.

LSU's rivals are much more record-dependent than those other rilvary games I listed. Let's face it, LSU at 4-4 vs. Ole Miss at 3-4 isn't quite the same as if the teams were both 8-0. And Ole Miss and Miss. State will always be the big game regardless of the records since it's an instate battle that divides families and friends. LSU-Ole Miss doesn't do that.

With history LSU and Ole Miss and LSU-Tulane rank high, but I think LSU will develop a great rivalry with Arkansas if the game continues to be the last one of the season. You have geography both schools have no in-state rival to rival that game unless Tulane performs a miracle and becomes respectable.

8. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I still think Florida has better pure athletes. I think the difference for us is coaching. I believe that Florida will always have better athletes than most teams.

9. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

Coming from a War Chicken I would understand that Bama is the biggest rival you have but, as I said "THE COW SCHOOL DOWN THE ROAD" says a lot about how Bama feels about Auburn. You are just a tick on Bama's ass. Bama Auburn is a made for TV rivalry that just in the last 15 to 20 years has become very big. Tenn has always been huge for Bama the fact that you are an in State game is the only reason your rivalry gets press. Tenn vs Alabama goes way back. Hell Bama did not even play at your home stadium for years how big can that be. :shock: Keep dreamin, Bama wants to beat you bad but I have been in your state a few times and Bama fans actually root for Auburn in certain games but not Tenn nobody in the State of Alabama that wears Crimson wants to see Tenn win.

10. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

I-o-t-T, do you feel that UF has better athletes across the board or just in a few areas? because frankly I just don't see it.... I hate UF but live in Orlando so I kind of keep up with them because of the saturation of coverage here. I would love for you to elaborate on some areas, just because we see it so differently. I will give them QB but nowhere else especially with LSU and Florida recruiting many of the same players and LSU winning more and more of those battles. I know losing Xavier Carter had them crying.... hahaha... and now Saban is in on three of the top recruits in FL for this year. And UF hasn't gotten anyone of note out of LA. in quite some time. For instance do you think they have a better DL than Spears on their roster? A better CB than Webster or Daniels?