LSU and our lack of a true Rivalry

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by b L e S e U r, May 22, 2004.

1. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Yeah, I dont see it, either. Florida has some great athletes, and has had some pretty good classes the last two years, but we have put together 5 solid classes, 3 of which were arguably the best classes of their respective years. Chris Leak is phenomenal, and for that reason, I can understand giving the nod to UF in QBs. However, we have no reason to believe that one of our freshmen wont be just as good. They arent proven, though, so edge UF. Florida also has some outstanding young linebackers, and if Channing Crowder is on the team in August, I'll give them the edge there, as well. Otherwise, I think we have better athletes at all the remaining positions, and probably better depth. Thats the way I see it.

I agree with Caddy on the Bama-Auburn-Tennessee thing. I was born and raised in Alabama, and live here, now. With all the NCAA crap with Alabama and Tennessee, the rivalry has certainly added some flair recently, but it will never be like Alabama and Auburn. That isnt just a made for TV rivalry, it is the real thing, through and through. I dont know any Alabama fans that would put UT above Auburn, no matter how much they hate UT.

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Anyone who thinks Auburn is not Bama's biggest rival is saying that just to piss off WarHens, it's the one or 2 biggest rivalry's in the country, period.

Our rivals aren't just record driven even though they are enhanced by the record as evidenced by last years Ole Miss game.

And Florida does not possess more individual talent than LSU anylonger IMO, we've out recruited them 4 years in a row and we now have just as much speed, size, strength as any team in the country.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I think if you were to make a case then Miami would be the only team who HAD better upperclassmen athletes than LSU given the NFL draft. UF is riding on their history yet LSU has STOLEN their top 3 WRs the last couple of years among many others outrecruiting them. This isnt the old UF FSU teams of the past and its showing in their performance. They should always have competitive teams but nothing like you think. It seems you are basing your opinion on history which is not the case anymore. At least not for the last few years.

4. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

Traditionally it was Ole Miss then BAMA, only reason BAMA isn't now is the slide they've had in performance. Like I said from days of Old the cheer was at the end of the LSU- OLE MISS game was "WE WANT BAMA" that's a direct quote watch some old films. Bear Bryant was THE man to beat. Everybody wanted to beat BAMA. In those days Pat Dye coached Au BARN and they were formidable but heavily overshadowed by the BEAR. UT wasn't even a threat in those days.

1. Ole miss
    2. Bama
    3. Tu Lame

it gets mirky after that.

Biggest rivalry out of conference?
    Easily Notre Dame

This goes way back to the Paul D. Era.
    of course I guess things change?

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Toolame is outta conference.

6. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

Dude ND and LSU have played what 3 times in the last 15 years? Did any of those games mean anything? ND and LSU is not a rivalry. Are they schedued to play each other soon? I know some ND alum and they don't even have LSU on the radar. Their biggest rivals are USC, Michigan, Michigan State, and Purdue. Some ND fans will say Navy counts as a rival. They hate Miami, but they don't have plans to play each other soon. Everyone else just thinks they have a rivalry with ND. Heck one of the reasons Bob Davie was fired was because he was the first ND coach in the history of their program to lose 5 years in a row to the same team--Michigan State. And his record against UM was nothing to brag about. Not being up there with Michigan got him fired. I don't think the LSU-ND series in the 90s had much to do with Davie getting canned.

LSU-ND series is 5-4 ND.

Most wins against ND. USC with 28, Michigan State 24, Purdue 24, Michigan 18 and Pitt 17.

7. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

I would not expect many of you to understand the Auburn-Alabama rivalry, and i mean that with all due respect for the rivalry itself is extremely difficult to put into words. It's a year round feud, so bitter that families have been torn apart over a simple game. Regardless of the "labeling" that some may want to put onto it, it's very difficult to explain unless you have lived the feud - sincerely.

My own viewpoint is that younger Bama fans (24 years or less) may feel a sense of hatred towards UT (because of UT's perceived role in Bama's probation status) that traditional fans have not been able to prioritize in the same way. But make no mistake about it, there is a BITTER, 365 day-a-year-hatred between the two in state rivals. Because AU has won three straight and 4 of the last 5 (soon to be 5-of-the-last six and 6-of-the-last-seven :grin: ) there is no amount of wrangling that Bama fans won't go to to deny Auburn fans of it's deserved satisfaction. It won't matter though, the tradition is what it is.

As much as I would prefer that LSU and Auburn become bigger rivals (as the top 2 dogs in the West) , it's difficult to imagine it ever being bigger than the Iron Bowl. Trust me, if LSU had a rival that big, it would make your current NC even that much sweeter indeed. Hopefully, the bitterness that many LSU fans seem to hold towards Auburn these days will one day be looked back upon as an investent in a "traditional" classic SEC rivalry that will rank among the best. In the mean time, be thankful that you don't have a foe plotting day-and-night, 24-7-365 on how they can nail you for probation :lol:

8. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Here's a very recent article (5-19-04) that illustrates a little of what I referenced:
    Five Southern Rivalries

We Don't Like You
    By B.J. Bennett
    Wed May 19 16:03:21 2004

Copyright © 2004 SouthernPigskin.com

In the south, everyone hates each other. And we're proud of it, too.

It's amazing really. Almost every team in the south has a traditional rival, maybe two or three. The history of many of the schools in the region and their close locations to one another encourages such competition, thus encouring envy and jealousy. Rivalries are just as southern as sweet tea and Charlie Daniels and I don't think we would have it any other way.

As mentioned above, numerous teams could have made this list, but we feel that these five games are the best of the best; the elite rivarlies in the southeast.

1. Alabama/Auburn
    Perhaps the best rivalry in college football, this in-state tussle completely epitomizes the fervor, passion and zeal that is football in the south. The state of Alabama is literally consumed by the game, and basically shuts down on game-week. No bonds are safe in this rivalry, as friendships and even families are often divided. The rivalry is so resounding that it carries political and economical influence as well. Hatred is such a tame adjective for describing the two schools feelings for one another, compulsive detestation may be a better phrase. The sentiments resound throughout the entire state. From 1907-1948, the two schools had to stop the rivalry because of numerous arguments and disagreements.

This game is a true southern fixture and has roots that expand out all over the southeast. Not only is everyone in the state of Alabama affected by this series, everyone in the region is as well. Unlike some rivalries, this game also has national appeal and though fans from the Pacific Northwest or New England may not know much about either team, almost everyone pays attention to this game.

As far as participants go, both Alabama and Auburn feature some of the more legendary players and coaches in the history of the game. Bear Bryant is an utter icon, Bo Jackson is one of the top players to ever put on a uniform, and others like Joe Namath, Ken Stabler and Pat Sullivan are etched in college football lore. The teams themselves are usually as dominant as the individuals involved as Alabama and Auburn have never had a losing record in the same season.

Simply put, no other game consumes a state like this one. This game defines rivalry, typifies hatred and is full of tradition and history. It’s poetry in motion, southern style. "

9. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

the games were very hyped up the few times we played them. outside of the SEC it's hard to hang a rivalry on anyone.

10. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

tirk, I believe you and I are in complete agreement.... I am basing my opinion on the current situation. I-o-t-T is the one saying UF has better talent.

:champs: :champs: :champs: :champs: :champs: :champs: :champs: