LSU and our lack of a true Rivalry

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by b L e S e U r, May 22, 2004.

1. TigerFan101

TigerFan101 Founding Member

:eek:lefire: :eek:lefire: ... 100% true... :eek:lefire: :eek:lefire:

Most of my family are either Ole Miss or M. State fans.... and I know that the ole miss fans (or most of them) would rather beat :lsug: than MSU.

ex: I went to the MSU v. Ole Miss (@ Ole Miss) game a couple of years ago with some relatives and it was nothing like the games when LSU comes to Oxford... esp. this last season in november. The atmosphere when it comes to LSU and Ole Miss is the epitome of a rivalry... end of story.

2. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

Yeah, I was at the 97 game. It was hyped up, but more of an event. ND came in with a losing record, but beat LSU pretty good 24-6.

I thought it was sort of foolish how people in BR were hyping the game as a "rivalry". Yeah playing ND is an happening, but trying to make it into a rivalry was sort of LA Tech saying they have a rivalry with LSU. Just not enough games played, history, or dislike to make it a rivalry.

3. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

Do you like anybody :) I know the LSU-Auburn thing has heated up over the last few years, perhaps because ya'll dislike TT so much. But LSU is not high on my list of disliked opponents.

4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Much like how everyone hated Florida with visor boy LSU fans do indeed hate the war chickens because of tub-o-chit!!!!! It has nothing to do with wins or losses and everything to do with his smug, arrogant personality and the less than sportsman like behavior of himself and his team under his watch. As long as big ears is the coach at AU you can expect LSU fans to despise the Tigers....errr...Plainsmen...errr....war chickens. :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

5. Proud Tiger

Totally wrong!! Auburn hates bama worse than anybody. I'm not sure where all the LSU-Auburn hate is coming from. I for one don't hate LSU. Y'all are a rival but big deal I don't hate you. I hate bama.......period!!!

6. Proud Tiger

Not picking a fight here but I can't help noting you can't decide who LSU's main rival is but you are an expert on other schools' rivalries? :lol:

7. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

Know what you're saying, but the thread is about LSU's lack of a true rival. LSU does not have a bama like you guys do. Used to have one in Tulane. Ole Miss is a rival, but with the Miss. State thing going on, you can argue that Miss. State and Ole Miss are each other's true rivals.

USC has true rivals in UCLA and ND. FSU has true rivals in Florida and Miami. I guess it depens on how you define "true" in true rivals.
    LSU and Tulane should be true rivals. They are in baseball and should be in every other sport, but since Tulane basically gave up on Football there really isn't a true rivalry.

Love to see LSU and Arkansas develop a blood feud rivalry since we can't really claim anyone else as a true rival. Maybe Arkansas and Texas, but since they are not in the same conference anymore that rivalry may fade or is faded.

Some programs have more than one true rival. I think the closest thing now LSU has to a true rival is Ole Miss plenty of history and bad blood and geography. I really think you need to be instate or bordering states for a true rivalry to start. You are more likely to see and interact with each other's fans in a true rivalry fashion.

The best long-distance rilvary is USC and ND. It has a long and unique history and traditions like ND goes to LA in November and USC plays in South Bend in October. Plenty of national rankings on the line and lots of great players.

8. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

We might as well say OU is our rival because we own YOU AUBURN and the SEC.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Why do we need a "true rival?" Do we need a yearly rival who hates us so much that they will sometimes rise to the occasion to beat us no matter how good we are and how bad they may be? It tough enough playing 8 SEC games. Ole Miss hates us. Auburn hates us. If Arkansas dosen't already hate us they will soon enough. Alabama and Florida will start to hate us soon if we start beating them every year. If we manage to beat Georgia twice this year again they will start to hate us.

Tulane was our natural rival but they basically gave up on big time football years ago when they quit the SEC. Texas A&M was a big out of conference rival for years but now they refuse to play us. Georgia has a yearly OOC rivalry with Clemson and Georgia Tech. With an 11 game schedule that only leaves them one extra game and they usually schedule a cupcake. That makes their OOC schedule boring for the most part because they aren't free to schedule major OOC opponents.

I would like to see the NCAA go to a permanent 12 game schedule. That would leave LSU free to schedule 2 major intersectional opponents on a home and home basis and also schedule 2 cupcakes. In some years Tulane could have the honor of being one of the cupcake foes.

10. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

I don't think a 3 game lead in the series is an "owning". Hell, you guys haven't even won 2 in a row over us since 1996.