LSU and the FOXnets: Why We Need Major League Baseball in New Orleans !!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tiger Trey, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

I have been suffering with Fox Sports Southwest for some time now. The constant aggravation with their indifference towards LSU finally drove me to sign up for the DirecTV regional sports package. I now get all the FOX regionals as well as other regional nets like MSG and NESN. The prize in the package is CSTV (college Sports TV).

One reason I signed up for this package was for FOX Southern (Atlanta). I was under the impression that they would cover the SEC like a blanket. So far I have been underwhelmed. With the Fellows from Athens going to BR in a battle of TopTens this weekend, one would think that "The Southern Report" would be all over this game like traffic on I-75. However, this program chooses to lead off with some Falcons or Braves fluff every night and relegates the SEC to an "oh by the way" status. I've spent some time in the ATL and I was always under the impression that the Falcons could pack up and move to Canada and no one would care too much. College Football is a passion there with UGA, Tenn, AU, and Bama all close by. And oh yeah, GATech plays its games across the street from The Varsity !!

It's obvious that our region needs it's own sports network. The fans of the SEC West as well as the Hornets and Saints are terribly underserved on the airwaves. There is enough material to cobble together a good sports news show with the entities I have listed previously. However, every other regional network carries it's local Major League Baseball team. Baseball provides six months of almost nightly programming and therefore makes these networks possible. Without Major League Baseball there will never be a regional sports network in our area.

It's just a damn shame !!!!!!!!

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I gave up on Direct TV and went back to cable. I had to pay extra even to get ESPN, I couldn't get the local network channels and it would lose the signal every time a cloud passed over my house.

3. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

It seems like Digital Cable is the way to go these days...

4. ArkansasTiger

ArkansasTiger Founding Member

We have to put up with Fox Sports Southwest on Comcast.

Everything goes right, Comcast will be going byebye in favor of DISH Network satellite TV.

Fox Sports Southwest has given very little coverage to the Tigers. It's mostly Big XII college wise and everything Rangers, Astros and Texans.

5. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

I was actually wondering why New Orleans didn't consider looking at the Montreal franchise along with everyone else.

With all of the new stadium building technology, the weather should no longer be a factor in the determination of the suitability of MLB for N.O.

Milwaukee built a stadium that would probably work just as well in N.O.. And Milwaukee is even closer to Chicago than N.O. is to Houston.

Market wise, much of LA, all of MS, Southern AL, Southern AR and even the FL panhandle would support the franchise.

Anyone know why this hasn't been looked at closer?

6. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

That is strange I did not have many outages with DirecTV except in almost tropical storm type weather. I really miss it. I decided to try cable again when I moved. The picture quality is also better than digital cable. I have had more down time with AT&T/Comcast cable than I ever had with DirecTV. Problem with cable when it goes down it takes days to fix. After my cable went out again i almost went back to DirecTV, but I had already prepaid for Game Plan and do not think it will carry over, so I will wait until the end of the season.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I always assumed it was because they assumed there was not enough population to ensure sufficient attendance at 50 or so weeknight games. Does anybody know what kind of attendance the (AAA) Zephyrs get?

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I've been very pleased with DirecTV. I get few rain washouts and they last only a minute or so. Cox has too many hidden fees that DTV doesn't (install, reconnect, late payment, etc.)

Baton Rouge area DirecTV users will get local channels starting in December. No extra charge.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I've been very pleased with DirecTV. I get few rain washouts and they last only a minute or so. Cox has too many hidden fees that DTV doesn't (install, reconnect, late payment, etc.)

Baton Rouge area DirecTV users will get local channels starting in December. No extra charge.

10. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

I dont know if I could support an MLB team in NO heavily. I am too much of an Astros fan. I do cheer for the Hornets but they will always be 2nd fiddle to the Mavs for me and as soon as the Hornets jump to the Western Conference, all bets are off.