LSU - Auburn Basketball

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JayB, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Berge

Berge Founding Member

Another frustrating loss to Ole Miss today.

It was a very competitive game that LSU let slip away in the final minutes.

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

didnt get to see the game, but i'd bet the house that it was because of guard play.

3. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

ahhh, i probably should have been much clearer... i didn't mean that that was the only reason trent won last season, i just meant that it made it INFINITELY easier. as for his style, it was a serious question, not a "bashing of sorts."

i agree, i'm not bashing them in any way.

regretfully i did not see all of it, just the last few minutes when LSU missed an assload of FTs, so i just assumed.

i'm pretty much with you. while i enjoy watching a team gel and get better as the season progresses, that is mostly the reason i like high school hoops.

and don't be too hard on me, guys. there wasn't a basketball thread for the game so i was just starting it because i am f'n tired of all the football talk that permeates this forum. i'm not sure of how his stanford teams really played, but if last season was any indication, i think we're in great hands with CTJ. :grin:

1 person likes this.
  4. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Didn't see the game, but you make it sound like it was close.

If it was close, then whether or not it is frustrating depends on how good you think Ole Miss is. If you think Ole Miss is worse than us, then that's frustrating to lose to them. If you think Ole Miss is better than us, then that is promising that we played them so close. Both Rivals and the SEC Media Poll had Ole Miss rated higher than us in their preseason ratings... and Ole Miss was ranked #22/#24 when we played them and in the new polls today they are ranked #18/#20.

5. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

:geauxtige

6. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

LSU loses to Bama for the second time this season, falling to 0-6 in the SEC, and 1-9 in the last ten games.

LSU won the first half, 25-23, but got crushed in the second half, 13-34 :(

Of Bama's best players, 6 of 9 are upperclassmen (2 seniors, 4 juniors). With LSU, on the other hand, 7 of our 9 best guys are all underclassmen (4 sophomores, 3 freshmen). This is how Bama's best players rated as recruits by Rivals:

3-star Guard (Senior) -- Torrance, Mikhail -- 32.6 min/game
    5-star Forward (Sophomore) -- Green, JaMychal -- 26.7 min/game
    3-star Guard (Senior) -- Brock, Anthony -- 26.5 min/game
    4-star Guard (Junior) -- Hillman, Senario -- 25.6 min/game
    4-star Forward (Freshman) -- Mitchell, Tony -- 20.4 min/game
    3-star Forward (Junior) -- Knox, Justin -- 20.2 min/game
    3-star Guard (Junior) -- Davis, Charvez -- 20.2 min/game
    3-star Forward (Junior) -- Hines, Chris -- 15.1 min/game
    3-star Guard (Freshman) -- Eblen, Ben -- 9.8 min/game

7. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Thanks for the effort, John. I think it's safe to say that if you did this for every SEC team that LSU played this year, you'd find the same story. An undermanned, but more importantly under-experienced, LSU squad losing to deeper, more experienced teams.

What's interesting about 'Bama, which I'll just spend a moment on, is that actually I expected Anthony Grant to do more than he has. This is a pretty athletic, junior-senior laden talented team, and 2 out of his 3 SEC wins have actually been against LSU (they lost last night against Auburn). Grant has lost to the likes of Cornell and that's not what I expected out of a "highly anticipated" coach. Although, this is a "macro-" statement, I actually think that this bodes well for Trent and the SEC West, b/c I believe you'll see many comparisons drawn between Trent and Anthony in the years to come. They are already competing for some of the same recruits, and I think giving both a few years to land their recruits, I think we're going to see some pretty big battles. It's safe to say, though, that Grant won't make the big splash the same way that Trent did in his first year (i.e. winning the SEC) which I actually think is fairly important for a first year coach to build momentum, and I wonder how good, technically, a coach he is.

Also, another loss yesterday to Miss St for the Tigers.

2theadvocate.com | Sports | LSU falls; offensive woes continue — Baton Rouge, LA

Again, a team laden with Seniors and Juniors, and a good number of returning players. What jumps out at me is Trent continues to teach and experiment. If you go back to this week on the hoops front, I was interested in this "video" that Trent and his staff put together to teach the finer things and the fundamentals. I was also interested in the fact that Trent chose to play Daron Populist alot over Chris Bass and started Chris Beattie. Two walk-ons that are on the floor to actually "run Trent's stuff". Apparently, Trent believed that they did a good job. Both Populist and Beattie were able to hit some outside jumpers. More importantly, they are executing the offense "the right way." Obviously, I'm taking some small signs as moral victories, but I'll say this Trent is still coaching and still trying. That's all we can ask for, and these kids will be better for it. :thumb:

8. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

All I am looking for the rest of the season is improvement from guys that will be here next year and probably expected to contribute.
    Green
    Harris
    Dotson
    Ludwig