LSU/ Auburn Thoughts

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by scrappy, Feb 26, 2005.

1. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

The Tigers again played a solid ballgame. Chalk that up as 4 in a row for LSU. I was impressed with how the Tigers overcame poor shooting in the first half and bounced back. You could feel that being on the road the Tigers would prolly come out flat considering the emotional high from Tuesday and the fact that they might have under estimated the other Tigers. Once Auburn cooled off from the field you could tell the better team was going to take over.

The bench again was solid for the Tigers. Neltner has vastly improved. I've been a fan of his all year and he seems to be getting comfortable in his role and playing with much more aggression. He had a career high in rebounds today. He's also become a more effective scorer inside. Some people have criticized Xavier Whipple, thats not fair. I understand he's not the best scorer, but he runs the team well. He takes shots when he's open and he had a solid 31 minutes today. Tack started the game as the only weapon early for the Tigers and then after the Tech he never came back in. I like how John Brady showed that he's not afraid to sit Tack. I dont know if it will garner him more respect from Tack or if it will piss him off, but I like the move. If he's going to sit him for a T, its better that it happened against Auburn then against Bama or in the Tourney some time. Bass and Baby again were monsters. Bass has really proven that if he's shut down inside he'll bring his game to the perimeter and knock it down. I hope to hell he stays next year. He's fun to watch. A well coached game by Brady and company. Your thoughts?

2. clair

clair Rockets

The team wasn't ready to play, but Brady did an amazing job at half adjusting:

He figured that if we cant score, all we have to do is stop them from scoring too, and we got a lot of easy ones thanks to turnovers...

Defense wins championships... maybe even SEC Championships :)

:geauxtige

3. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Scrappy, you just have to bash the fans, don't you? :hihi::rofl::thumb:

4. clair

clair Rockets

Believe it or not, if LSU wins the SEC West, BRady may be SEC Coach of the Year...

b.c I have a hard time giving it to UK...

they do it every year

5. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

Well, first of all thank you NLMD. Secondly, I agree that Brady could be coach of the year. But, the only thing that Tubby has going for him is that he has done so good with a really young team. But then again, LSU is pretty young too. I'd like to see JB win it. I would think it's safe to say that The SEC West is Tougher then the East. Maybe the helps JB. But, winning the SEC overall prolly will get it for Tubby.

6. clair

clair Rockets

Yeah... i take UK over LSU, but I take LSU over UF, and Bama over UF...

and MSU and Arkansas are way better than USC and Vandy i think... so yeah i'd agree that the west is best

7. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

But maybe the head to head b/t the two will affect it. Who knows really how they do that. Some times they go for a team that was projected to do much's coach. Or sometimes they go just for the best. But either way, an outright West Title for LSU would be huge for JB with or without a coach of the year.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

i hadnt thought of that until now, but i like it. LSU! LSU!

9. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Wow, to think that after the early season heat that Brady took, to win COY---amazing. I think what weighs heavily into the COY evaluation is the "unexpected" nature of the season's performance by a coach's team. LSU was predicted by most to be third in the SEC West, and I want to say that most folks had UK (although young) still in the top 15 and top of the East. On top of that didn't Tubby sign 3 AAs this past year and have a stacked team? Sure, Tubby is a great coach and wins the outright SEC, but I think if Brady wins out and wins the SEC west, esp. considering the turnaround, he'll make a strong case.

I agree with alot of scrappy's analysis. This was not going to be the easiest of games after the 'Bama win, and the Tigers came through. When the Tigers play d for 40 minutes, they are a top 25 team and if two of Mitch/Tack/Hud are hitting their threes, the Tigers are a top 15 team. Let's all hope for a hot streak from the guards in March and continued smarter play from Tack!

:geauxtige

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i liked how they withstood auburns hot first half. neltner is indeed improving and his increased involvement is a must for this team to have a prayer for any type of tourney run.

i, too, like benching tack. it'll help keep him in check. im excited about his improved O in the last two games.

the problem is, though, that auburn was way overmatched. they have no post. we couldnt get the ball in the post. teams not as athletic as us, or with a bad matchup or two, will play that 2-3 zone D against us. for some reason i didnt see any flashing to the ft line followed by j or quick passes. we need to get good at attacking zone d. ole miss and vandy will be good practice. can you imagine though playing a good team (2nd round ncaa tourney) that puts that d on us, could be a nightmare.