LSU - Bama Game Thead

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, Jan 31, 2004.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i dont care if he's an ahole, but i dont think he is one. he's very competitive and that is what you want. just like lloreda, he's probably not an ahole, just competitive---how good would lloreda be if he weren't firey? he'd be just another bridgewater.

we won because of defense, f/t shooting (probably just good luck, but hopefully because of focus), rebounding, and fewer turnovers. hopefully this means the team is coming around. they will beat most sec teams playing like this, and they will begin to blow out teams because shots will start to fall.

the sec is down? are you a pac-10 or big10 fan? no, wait, i know, a ragin cajun! fans like you say that every year. 10 of 12 sec teams are top 50 rpi, and ole miss is now 55. while we MAY not have a stanford or duke, no other conference comes close overall. at least 7 sec teams get in NCAA tournament.

2. BB

BB Founding Member

I guess my previous posts about Brady make me a bad fan and a generally bad guy. Stop defending John Brady. I like many things about Brady, I have not forgotten that he has pulled this program through its darkest hours and I give him a great deal of credit for the talent he has assembled. However, he's the only coach at LSU in any sport who operates free of any standards. Of course, LSU is a football school with a fantastic baseball program, but basketball is important to a lot of fans. What do we expect and demand from our head basketball coach? All of you Brady lovers, I appreciate your loyalty and your support for the guy, but spell it out for me - What do we demand that he accomplish? Is it to be competitive? Is it to recruit well? Is it to fill the seats at the PMAC? Is it to make the NCAA tournament? We all know exactly what the expectations are for football and baseball - A trip to Atlanta and a trip to Omaha. Lay it out there for me and I will stop whining about Brady. I support Brady and this team and I want them to succeed. The talent is there througout the Gulf Coast. I could care less what the rest of the league is doing. IMO, either we need Brady to focus and get it in gear, or we need to hunt down a coach who fits the mold of excellence with Saban, Bertman, Smoke and the chancellor. No excuses and no talking around it! Please offer your thoughts - Are we where we want to be in basketball?

3. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Are you saying you would like to have a Bob Knight or Tommy Tubberville coaching at LSU?

There is more to winning ... representing LSU with class should be a requirement for the job as well!

4. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

if we were hiring, i'd take knight in a second. well, i guess i'd want someone younger, but you get the idea. he wins and his players graduate and no sanctions. btw, if you don't want a ahole as coach then dale would never have coached for 20 years---he was a huge ahole. he wasnt stupid enough to show it on camera, but he was a prick/ two-faced.

5. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I wouldn't touch Bob Knight in a second.

A coach is more than winning.

Look at Nick Saban for instance...

He coaches and also teaches his players how to be a person,
    with class I might add.

Bob Knight got ran out of Indiana for a reason.

I don't want to win sooo bad that I would want him here, I'd rather have Tubberville here anyday than Knight.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

knight taught players how to be good people. have you ever heard of any of his players getting in trouble (maybe, but i cant think of any). he got run out not because of how he acted, either. he got run out because is was caught on film and everything is too pc. that stuff goes on in most high schools. too many pansies nowadays. i'd have no trouble sending my kid to play for knight. besides, brady is nothing near knight. how many stunts has he pulled? none. so he curses--you think saban doesnt on the sidelines. another thing that i think separates him from knight is that he doesnt mind his players getting back in his face (he said so a few weeks ago about jaime). i dont think knight would like that. to me that means that brady is just emotional and wants the same out of his players. again, not that i'd have a big problem with a "jerk" as a coach. the coach should win, teach, graduate players.

7. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

LMAO ... so you don't have a problem with coaches hitting players, kicking players, throwing chairs, cursing the media out, and just be a complete jerk like Knight?

The coach should set an example for the players ... guess that's the problem in today's world. We accept piss poor behavior!

Man, I'm glad you aren't the AD at LSU!!

8. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I think we should all support Brady and evaluate the job he's done after the season is over. Now that the sanctions are over, he needs to get us in the dance EVERY year. This year's team is so young that I could accept an NIT bid if they showed improvement but this would be the last free pass.

IMO, Brady knows his X's & O's and is a good coach. He's also getting big name recruits to play for him. However, like someone mentioned, being the head basketball coach at LSU is more than just winning. Brady just seems like a prick sometimes. Someone mentioned his "conduct and behavior" and I'd like to hear more analysis. The 3 major run-ins I remember were with Nolan Richardson, the new Ark coach (Heath), and the Bama coach (Gottfried?). I took Brady's side each time but I was obviously biased. Has Brady had any other run-ins that would portray LSU in a bad light?

If we fired Brady after this year (not that we should), does Big Baby still come to LSU?

I think it comes down to this, would I send my son to play for John Brady if he could go anywhere in the country? For football and baseball, I would obviously urge him towards LSU. I don't think I can say the same for basketball with today's state of the program (not all Brady's fault). There are many quality coaches around and Emmert has had success finding them. LSU will always get top notch players regardless of the coach. There are a lot of factors to consider but I'll support him for now (hopefully longer).

9. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

My opinion is this: I've been a supporter of Brady in the past, but I also see where the Brady bashers are coming from. I don't know if we should fire Brady or not. What I do know is I'm an LSU Basketball fan, and when they take the court, I CERTAINLY will NOT root against them just because of my feelings for the coach.

When the team is out there, the fans should give their support of the team and players regardless of what you think about the coach. Much in the same way you should support the US troops regardless of whether or not you agree we should be at war.

The players are still representing LSU and I want to see them win.

10. LSUstudent

LSUstudent Founding Member

it's called good defense...i would put our defense up against any team in the nation's offense

your statement is just like saying we would lose by 14 points if Matt Mauck went 2-15 with 2 INTs

our defense won us many a game this year