LSU Baseball 2022

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BayouBengal014, Mar 22, 2022.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

That makes absolutely zero sense, why would they skip college if they get paid more?????:confused:

2. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

For some, it's their dream to play pro ball and they don't want to miss out on that opportunity. A lot of guys that get drafted go to college and end up falling further in the next draft or don't get drafted at all. It's a tough call, but NIL definitely makes that decision even tougher.

3. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Because they don't. First round signing bonuses are anywhere from $2-10M. Dylan Tebrake was selected in the 8th round, number 239 overall, and even his signing bonus slot is valued at $181,000.

LSU signee Michael Kennedy's slot value is $554,600 for a 4th round, 110 overall pick.

Zero chance "we" are paying these guys more, but it is possible that the late round guys could see the value in developing further at the college level, or even getting a degree, to increase their opportunities for future earnings. And if they get a little pocket change to go along with it, that might improve our chances.

shane0911 likes this.
  4. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I don't know about "zero chance" because this NIL stuff is so out of control I could see a booster stepping up and paying a kid a lot of money to go to LSU. A lot of boosters have big egos and would love to attach their name to a star player. Look at the attorney Gordan McKernan who stepped in and got Boutte to stay. I think it's safe to say he got a lot of business because his name was plastered everywhere, not to mention it had to be a huge boost to the ego.

5. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

Agreed! The bonuses above $1 mil are out of NIL competition, but the $181,000 not so. The MLB bonus is a 1 year thing. If the kid got a $100 K offer for the 3 years he would be in college it might be enough when you consider all the benefits for going the college route and not having to stay in a crappy motels half the year.

shane0911 likes this.
  6. MobileBengal

That's for an 8th round pick though. Those guys were going to college before NIL. My point was that we are not going to pay any of them more, regardless of where they were drafted, but that doesn't mean we can't pay them enough to get them in school. The rule of thumb was generally if they got a signing bonus over $2M, there were gone, but anything under that, there was a chance to get them. And that was before NIL.

Hou-duco and shane0911 like this.
  7. shane0911

So now with NIL whats to say that the bonus isn't so attractive anymore? That is a one time thing and like has been mentioned, for what? To go play AA ball in Bugtussle America and ride on a beaten down recycled Greyhound? Not only that, you have to grind in "A" ball. If you are telling me I can get less money but have college chics to bang and live like a king while doing it I'm taking option 2

8. MobileBengal

Yeah, I agree. I still think it's hard to turn down $2M, but we will have a better shot than before.

9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Wait until the women's sports start doing onlyfans......

[​IMG]

shane0911 likes this.
  10. shane0911

Of course that depends on you know

LSUpride123 likes this.