LSU baskeball must improve

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by NavyTiger, Jan 24, 2011.

1. NavyTiger

NavyTiger dunn dunn it all

After watching a few games this season I have to say that the our team is just bad. I see no signs of improvement and in fact I see the team getting worse. After watching the Tigers play Ole Miss this is what I think is wrong with the team.
    1) The players are not motivated. When watching them play they do not look like they have a want to win and they have no sense of urgency when playing. Not focused is another good word for the players.
    2) They have trouble passing the ball around. This was something that was driving me crazy when watching the game. On the offensive side of the ball the players could not get open, therfore creating turnovers and missing shots. No picks or screens were being used and they contuined to be smothered by the ole miss defenders.
    3) We don't have a number 1. There is not one player on the team that is a good shooter. A player may shoot well 1 in 3 games. Inconsitent.

I could go on but would like to hear from everyone else.

2. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

I agree. I still think Trent Johnson is a good coach but effort and fundamentals (passing, screens, etc) should be evident in a team even if they have no talent. That's what I'm kind of concerned about. I thought we were done with Brady ball...

3. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

I disagree. Turner can shoot. Stringer can shoot, he just takes bad shots. Derenbecker's shot is getting better, he just needs to not force it so much. The problem is a lack of discipline and patience. Ineffective ball movement is leading to poor shot selection.

4. NavyTiger

They can shoot but they take bad shots... in turn being they can't shoot. I stated before that ball movement is a major issue if they did that better it would lead to better shooting. It is easier to make a shot if you don't have a hand in your face, so set a pick to free some room up.
    Discipline and patience is a problem I agree.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

If Trent hasn't taught them that, then I agree he needs to go. Perhaps he'd appreciate an email from you.

6. NavyTiger

I'll get on that and keep you posted on the response....
    Seriously it seems simple but.................................

7. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

What we have right now is a bunch of jump shooters, and when you live by the jump shot sometimes you die by the jump shot. We don't have any guy that can really create his own shot off the dribble. I think Turner and Stringer will eventually develop the skill. I think Derenbecker has some potential to do this as well. It will be hard to judge this team until Warren and Turner are back in the line up.

As bad as we looked Saturday I think we have improved a lot in the fundamentals of the game. I see guys in the post closing lanes and boxing out more effectively. The main reason we were outrebounded so bad this past Saturday was because we missed alot and Ole Miss didn't. Passing does need to be better, but it is better in tight games than in routs. We try to force too much when we are way behind.