LSU Basketball 2022-2023

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu-i-like, Nov 2, 2022.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Reportedly their roster includes the #3 scorer in the NCAA (Johnson, UF transfer, 28 pts, 9 reb) and the #2 player in the NCAA in assists (Nowell, 29 pts, 11 asst). KSST dominated the OT 16-7 to win 96-87. KSST was 8/17 from 3, Nevada 9/22. Nevada has been steadily declining since Musselman left 4 years ago.

KSST (5-0) also has a first year coach, Jerome Tang ($2.1M/yr, previously an assistant at Baylor; MM makes $2.6M/yr per wikipedia). They easily beat UMKC 69-53 as stated by @Jmg . They also beat Cal 63-54, who is currently 0-5, so maybe not a great barometer.

This one is for the Cayman “Classic” championship, which I think would be a nice accomplishment. Really feels like the team is improving and we’re only 5 games in. MM is pretty even keel on the sidelines but he was getting after the refs a little last night. Think we might have a good one.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    mctiger likes this.
  2. lsu-i-like

From tos:
    Although it has been against relatively weak competition, K-State's defense has been very good. Their HC is Scott Drew's long time assistant at Baylor. Like LSU, tonight's game will be the toughest opponent they have faced to date.

Also like LSU they have almost a completely new roster from last season with multiple guys with SEC experience. Notably Desi Sills (Arkansas), Cam Carter (Mississippi St....by way of Donaldsonville) and Keyonte Johnson (Florida) who was a preseason SEC POY pick before he suddenly collapsed during a game in 2020. They also have Jerrell Colbert from last year's LSU team (though he isn't playing). Hopefully he remembered to bring his jersey to Grand Cayman.

3. lsu-i-like

Oh yeah, and the defense looks like a strong suit (granted, against teams that don’t physically match us).

4. kcal

kcal Founding Member

tonite will show more about the interior play. not sure we match up in the sec on the inside…

lsu-i-like likes this.
  5. lsu-i-like

If we’re physical enough to pose a challenge to small teams and spry enough to pose a challenge to big teams, maybe that’s a good formula.

6. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

last year i drove to nicholls for that exhibition and jerrel colbert started and played the whole game because efton reid had a preseason injury. he was pretty good. athletic and huge.

but as we have seen before, bigs dont always develop. they often are not as motivated, because they only play basketball because their body is made for it. a 6'2 PG plays because he loves it, whereas a 7 footer is basically required to play. every person they ever met expects they are a baller.

7. lsu-i-like

18-16 8:44 in first, getting ass-whipped in paint though. KSST driving through LSU D like knife through butter. And struggling on the boards.

8. lsu-i-like

23-16 7:49, hitting some 3s.

LSU and KSST have never played in basketball.

9. lsu-i-like

Can’t believe Wilkinson isn’t doing more. I remember him being super athletic and none of that is showing. Hill hits another 3.

10. lsu-i-like

31-19, KJ Williams hitting hook shots like Kareem Abdul Jabar.