LSU basketball and Coach Will Wade thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by stevescookin, Oct 4, 2017.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Head in sand. There is still a modicum of doubt.

2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Is LSU playing?

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

6:45 left in first half down 29-21. Waters with 11 nobody else has done jack shit.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  4. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Got it down to single digits early in 2nd half. Need to get hand in shooter's face on defense, and starting passing more, taking it aggressively to basket, and not settling for long 3's on offense.

5. kcal

kcal Founding Member

waters kept the tigers in it

lsu-i-like likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Waters was the only one tonight keeping the Tigers above water.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  7. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

So Kentucky wins another tourney. This is why it's imperative to kick the shit out of them in football whenever given the chance.

lsu-i-like and Winston1 like this.
  8. Herb

Herb Founding Member

DO NOT PUBLISH!!! LSU basketball team earns spot in NIT; Will Wade, Tigers will host XXXX on Wednesday

[​IMG]
    Buy Now
    LSU coach Will Wade guided his team to a National Invitation Tournament bid in his first season with the Tigers.

ADVOCATE STAFF PHOTO BY PATRICK DENNIS
    Sheldon Mickles

Will Wade had two main goals in mind for his first LSU basketball team when the regular season began back in early November.

Both goals, he thought, were very attainable: Not having a losing season and earning a spot in a postseason tournament just one year after taking over a program that went 10-21 in 2017.

Wade’s team accomplished both.

LSU, 17-14 overall, secured a non-losing season last month and was rewarded Sunday night with a National Invitation Tournament berth and a home game in the Pete Maravich Assembly Center on XXXX night against XXXXXX.

The NIT 32-team field, which is made up of four eight-team quadrants, was announced shortly after the 68-team NCAA tournament field was revealed.

LSU was one of four Southeastern Conference teams to earn spots in the NIT to go with a league-record eight NCAA tournament berths — which means 12 of the conference’s 14 teams are in the postseason.

[​IMG]
    Waiting on the call: Will Wade, LSU hoping to get to postseason with NIT bid, home game
    ST. LOUIS — Will Wade firmly believes his LSU basketball team deserves a spot at the National Invitation Tournament’s 32-seat table.

Also set for the NIT are Louisiana-Lafayette and Southeastern Louisiana, who received automatic bids as regular-season champions of the Sun Belt and Southland conferences, respectively.

UL-Lafayette will play XXXX on XXXXX night and SLU will play at XXXXX on XXXXX night.

Last week, after it became apparent LSU was likely out of contention for an NCAA tournament bid, Wade notified NIT officials that he and his team would be “excited and fired up” about participating in their event.

Wade, who was reluctant to talk about his team’s postseason possibilities until it had secured a winning season, said playing in the NIT would be an important step in the development of his program going forward.

“I think from where we were last year to where we are now is a big improvement,” Wade said last week. “For us to continue to play in the postseason would be important.

“Our guys want to play. Our guys are excited to continue to play,” he said. “Our guys like being around each other. Our guys enjoy what’s going on. … It’s my job as a head coach to, if they want to keep playing, make sure I do everything possible to keep playing.”

upload_2018-3-11_20-53-40.png
    It just means 'more': SEC men's basketball in line for league-record eight NCAA tournament bids
    By now, you’ve all seen and heard the slogan the Southeastern Conference adopted nearly two years ago.

LSU’s NIT invite comes two years after former coach Johnny Jones declined a spot in the tournament when his team, with future No. 1 NBA draft pick Ben Simmons, closed out a disappointing 19-14 campaign.

LSU is in the NIT for the eighth time overall after previously playing in it in 1970, 1982, 1983, 2002, 2004, 2012 and 2014.

The Tigers are 4-8 all-time in the NIT, going 1-1 in their most recent appearance. They played both games on the road, defeating San Francisco 71-63 before falling to SMU 80-67.

It takes three wins in the tournament to reach the NIT semifinals, which will be played March 27 in Madison Square Garden in New York City.

The semifinal winners will square off in the championship game on March 29.

The NIT bid will mark the fourth time in his five years as a head coach Wade has led his team into the postseason.

He took Chattanooga to the CIT tournament in 2014 and the last two seasons helped VCU land a berth in the NCAA tournament — reaching the Sweet 16 in 2016.

FOLLOW SHELDON MICKLES ON TWITTER, @MICKLESADVOCATE.

Brian and lsu-i-like like this.
  9. HoopHound

HoopHound Veteran Member

Well done tigers!
    Make some noise in the nit!

10. Herb

Herb Founding Member

Seriously, if you go to the Advocate's website right now, the article got published prematurely and it literally says "DO NOT PUBLISH" all over the place.