LSU Basketball where are thou?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Sabertooth, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

I just wanted to take the time to say I love LSU. Who needs a hug now?

Will it get better? Being a diehard basketball fan, it hurts every year on Selection Sunday when the brackets are announced and our beloved Tigers ticket did not get punched. We have suffered far too long now since a consistent winning product has been put on the floor. I measure a winning product by making it to the Big Dance and this team has only been twice in the last 10 years. It time for a change. A change is eminent.

1993-1994 11-16(Overall) 5-11(SEC) Dale Brown
    1994-1995 12-15(Overall) 6-10(SEC) Dale Brown
    1995-1996 12-17(Overall) 4-12(SEC) Dale Brown
    1996-1997 10-20(Overall) 3-13(SEC) Dale Brown
    1997-1998 9-19 (Overall) 2-14(SEC) John Brady
    1998-1999 12-15(Overall) 4-12(SEC) John Brady
    1999-2000 28-6(Overall) 12-4(SEC) John Brady
    2000-2001 13-16(Overall) 2-14(SEC) John Brady
    2001-2002 19-15(Overall) 6-10(SEC) John Brady
    2002-2003 21-11(Overall) 8-8(SEC) John Brady
    2003-2004 18-10(Overall) 8-8(SEC) John Brady

42-70 Total SEC record for John Brady equals a 0.40% winning %
    This is Brady's 7th year. How long does it take? With the current landscape of college basketball much like the NFL, it should not take more than 2/3 years to turn the corner probation or not. Dear John is on his 7th.

The most telling argument is John Brady took a team in 1999-2000 to a 12-4 record in the SEC and followed that up with a 2-14 record in the SEC the next year. Ask yourself this question. Would you accept winning the SEC in football and baseball one year to finishing dead last the next? It's called rebuilding and reloading. Brady has managed to pillage and ransack.

2. GMoney2600

GMoney2600 Founding Member

Well , in Brady's defense, No one ever accused him of being a good coach.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

You say he has had 7 years. In reality, you can cut that in half with the probation LSU has been on. So it's more like 3-4 years. I would still say he has to prove himself next year or else. Another up and down season next year and he is surely gone. Next year, this team should be very close to the 1999-2000 season record wise with the talent that he has.

Not sure why you put Dale's Browns very pathetic last four years up and announce that LSU has gone to the big dance only twice in the past 10 years as if John Brady had anything to do with Dale Brown botching up the program. In fact that only supports Brady's position of how sorry a basketball program he inherited.

4. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I still think that LSU will be in the NCAA tourney. It's very likely that they could be left out but I just have a feeling that they still could sneak in... especially with an Alabama loss tonight.

5. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

Just to state the facts. LSU has only been to the NCAA tournament twice in the last 10 years. I had no intentions to help or hurt John Brady's argument. It kind of reminds of the LSU football era we had before Nick Saban took over. We had brief but unstainable success on Gerry Dinardo and the program was going no where and no success under Curly Hallman.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

agreed.

7. Jwho77

Jwho77 Founding Member

True, Dale Brown's last few years has nothing to do with Brady's failure. In fact, it is not even an issue anymore. A GOOD coach does not have 3 players transfer in the first 2 weeks of practice and 1 (top scorer and rebounder) quit on the team with 2 weeks left in the season claiming to have an injury he can't play with. Considering the wonderful excuse of probation that is still being used, one would think a good coach would at least give himself depth by recruiting kids that will stay in the program when you need it most. He recruits too many headcases and has left the most important position in the game (point guard) in the hands of a low rated recruit from Georgia who is not SEC calibur (Whipple) and a known headcase (Minor). Seems to me that if Mississippi State can build a powerhouse basketball team, LSU damn sure should be able to, don't you think? Brady's failure is so much like Dinardo's that it isn't even funny. Should we wait for the program to collapse before we make a change or just hope that this mediocrity continues?

8. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

how about calling a timeout to have a talk with the troops every once in a while.

Most basketball coaches call a timeout to help slow the momentum of a game and
    rally the troops or even diagram a play when your having trouble scoring

9. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

Even on probation Brady still had 9 maybe 8 scholarship players which in basketball is plenty enough to have a good team as most of the programs in the country only play 8-9 players a game, you just have to make sure you bring in the right players because there is not room for error like a coach who has the full 13 to give.