LSU Basketball

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tygertail, Feb 10, 2004.

1. roygu

roygu Founding Member

It takes freshmen a while to learn the sophisticated defenses in college ball. Remember how Rohan Davey and Matt Mauck struggled their first year as Quarterback. If a running back miss times his run through the line by one second the hole can close. If a point guard miss times his pass on an alley oop to a forward the ball goes out of bounds. The same goes for a screen.
    The team is improving because they are getting familiar with their team mates tendancies and moves.

2. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

but.....

your under the assumption that these guys will stick around. I really don't see Bass staying another year and Jaime is also leaving. Who knows what will happen with this team. Yeah, we used to fill up the PMAC in the 80's and 90's, but in my opinion that is when college basketball had an identity. Nobody really cares anymore since so many players are making the jump from HS to the pros.

Imagine if the nba had the same draft rules as the nfl. We would have seen Garnett, Kobe, and Lebron actually play for school pride instead of the almighty dollar. It is really sad what has happened to college basketball.

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

4. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i havent really even considered it, but bass would be stupid to leave. he would get eaten alive by the nba. he has a long way to go. i'd be stunned if he left.

if bass can develop some toughness next years team will be great. bass and davis down low, with experienced guards. if minor and koundja develop like they should, the team could be damn good (4 sec losses or less).

5. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Bass has NBA talent but I don't think he would get drafted until at least the 2nd round if he came out this year. Why wouldn't he come back next year?

6. Tigersmack

Tigersmack Founding Member

Hey dude........

In my opinion GUM, Brady has been a subpar recruiter and coach. The only people bitching about scholarship limtations were you and Brady. Anybody else who knows anything about what has gone on over the past 5 years knows that Brady signed just as many players as anybody else in the SEC. He just screwed up in scholarship management at a crucial point in time. You can't offer your one scholarship to a guy who everybody and his momma knows will be ineligible, like JuMichael Young. Then Brady comes out and complains about how he only has 5 scholarship players. Dale Brown didn't cause us to have 5 scholarship players....Brady did. he had plenty of scholarships to give but ended up with only 5 on the nech......his own fault. Don't make me go back and get every recruiting class and show you what happened.........

Then he has these fine players in Bass and Minor and Hudson and he proceeds to have them standing and passing the ball around a zone looking like a YMCA team. He had Hudson so damned scared to shoot and miss that he didn't shoot but 3 times a game before being yanked. I'm not the one putting 5000 fans in the seats....Brady is. So why don't you get a grip and see the truth. The guy has done a very average job.

So what's next? You want to talk about the arena? Oh, woe is me....how bad the arena is.......waaaa, waaa, waaa. It's the same thing with this guy every year why they get booted out in the first round of the tourney or don't make it all....excuses.

Remember when DiNardo kept whining about the poor state of education in the state and that's why we were getting hammered by Ole Miss and going 3-8? I bet you were one of these guys saying to give him one more year like Joe Dean huh? Hell, give Hallman another year so we can suck one more year.

It's time to move on IMO and the sooner the better.

Now if you want my opinion as to why Sue Gunter's time has run out also and the gynastics coach needs the boot too....I'll be glad to start another thread and sound off. This board's not all about rah-rahing is it?

7. LSULSULSU

LSULSULSU Founding Member

Glen Davis

I cant wait to see him wearing LSU uniform.

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i dont care about the arena.

i dont think the team was average when they won the sec, i dont think they were average last year, and i dont think they are average this year.

i dont know what happened with the scholarships years ago, but i do remember that there were ncaa imposed sanctions which supposedly included scholarship limitations. i never read the ncaa sanctions, so i dont know exactly what they said, but i assume that "scholarship limitations" means that they limited the # of scholarships that lsu had over a period of time. to me that's a handicap. if the limitations only affected the # of players on scholarship because swift left early, young didnt qualify and johnson quit then brady should hardly have ever mentioned the sanctions.

so, if there is some way that lsu could have had 12 scholarship players on the team instead of 5 then let me know. all i know about is the three cases mentioned above (and i'm not sure that johnson even counted).

also, maybe brady should not have gotten juco players (although i can only think of smith during this time) if that essentially meant that one scholarship would result in only 2 years of pt. but this is a minor point. you said brady isnt recruiting and it seems to me that he is. if you want to argue the quality of coaching then thats another matter.

last thing, its stupid to equate brady with hallman or dinardo. those guys didnt even have average teams there last years (hell, hallman ever)

9. OklahomaTiger

OklahomaTiger Founding Member

Scholarships

GUM, I think what Tigersmack is talking about is the recruiting he did during the first two years he was here. First, I'd like to say the subpar talent he got for the 1997-98 season (Cedric Carter (ok), Rhodaria Casten (terrible), Dejuan Collins (mediocre), etc. Willie Anderson (pretty good but unfortunately was only there 1 1/2 seasons) were players he was forced to recruit at the last minute as Dale Brown's kids (Gene Nabors, Tiger Womack, Terrance Simmons etc.) left the team to play for other schools. I will say that his recruiting in 1998-1999 was quite puzzling - he recruited Jamaal Wolfe, a JC who would have only been eligible one more year. He shouldn't have wasted so many scholarships on JUCOs like Collins, Casten, Carter, Anderson and Wolfe because they'd only be around 2 years (in this case, many of them only stuck around one season). Thus, he lost a lot of potential people that could have been there when he really needed them, like the 2000-2001 season when they only had 5 scholarship players due to injuries to Roland and Bridgewater (plus Swift left early).

So I blame him partly for recruiting bad players his first two years, but I think he did still did a pretty good job his second year of recruiting (Jabari Smith, Bridgewater, Jermaine Williams, Swift). His third year was pretty good too, getting Torris Bright and Ronald Dupree. Torris was pretty good and Dupree was excellent. He couldn't recruit but Young the next year (2000-2001). Then, he picked up Whipple and Hudson. Hudson is sporadic but ok and Whipple is a steady pg, although we obviously would be better with a pg that could also score once in awhile. This year, he had the best recruiting class he's had and the future looks bright. So overall, I think we're headed in the right direction, GUM, and disagree with us being average.

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

you obviously know more about recruiting in the early brady years than i do. sounds like he didnt do a good job of getting players and the juco thing is a little puzzling. i guess a few jucos are needed to jumpstart the program, but more 4 yr players would have been better for the later years.

wasnt whipple a walkon his first year?