LSU Basketball

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tygertail, Feb 10, 2004.

1. OklahomaTiger

OklahomaTiger Founding Member

scholarship

I'm pretty sure Whipple was on scholarship since the start. There was also a guard we recruited from Atlanta Georgia in 1998 who only played one year. He was not very good and transferred somewhere; can anybody recall this guy's name? We've had a lot of transfers in the past couple of years (That big guy Johnson, Tony Gipson, etc.). My take on them is if they don't want to earn it, then get the h*** out of here. We also had Kedrick Brown, who went straight to the NBA. It sure would have been nice to have him for two years!

2. Tigersmack

Tigersmack Founding Member

We had a couple from GA

one from Stone Mountain, GA......I think one was Darryl Cooper huh?. I think he went somewhere up north and did OK......

Then Shashawn Johnson or whatever is leading N. Texas in rebounds and scoring I think.

Look, I like Brady overall but from what I have seen since he arrived I just don't think he can take us to where we belong. I don't think with his system, which he tried to fit players into who may not best suited for that style, will get us to the Final Four IMO.

Just like everybody else, I want what's best for LSU and I think the best thing would be to move on. I hope the guy wins the NC because I want LSU to win it all.

But I heard Brady on Buddy's show at lunch today and man I hate the guy. I can't help be just absolutely turned off by the guy and his smart-ass comments. It's one thing to be Spurrier or Saban and be a wise-ass but Brady, IMO, hasn't done a damned thing to be a smart-ass to fans about.

3. OklahomaTiger

OklahomaTiger Founding Member

Thanks

I forgot Cooper's name. I remember watching him hit a free throw to beat Alabama in the 1998-1999 season. It was pretty funny because the dumba** Alabama player fouled Cooper as he was shutting a 3/4 court shot as time was running out. That Alabama player, can't remember the name, did get revenge, though, by scoring 30+ points in the rematch, which we lost in 3OT! I also think that's the game we lost Willie "Flipper" Anderson.

I can understand anybody for not liking Brady's demeanor, but I think we need to wait and see before we chastise the man. I've heard Saban is an a**hole himself. Of course, winning cures all. We'll see over the next two season how he does. If he can't get past the second round this season or next, it might be time for a change. Of course, it always depends on the circumstances. I think next year's team will be even better. Here's the projected lineup:

G Minor/Whipple (I'd be surprised if Xavier starts)
    G Mitchell
    F Koundjia (this guy really needs to step it up next year)
    F Bass (should average around 15 points and 8-10 rbds next year)
    C Davis

Backups
    Hudson
    Temple
    Lazare
    Neltner
    Tasmin Mitchell

What's the deal with Tim Bush? Is he just not as good as people expected?

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Re: We had a couple from GA

How can you say we belong somewhere that we've never been?

5. Tigersmack

What?

We've been to the Final Four twice........ I don't ask for that every year but I ask to make it to the tourney every year and make it past the first round most of the others. Then a Final Four appearance is gravy..........

Oh, and being ranked every once in a while would help too. We've never been ranked dude?

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

The 2nd final four was a total fluke. We got waxed in the 1st round both times. We didn't "belong". We are not ranked because of the idiocy of the polls. 16-4 and 6-3 in the SEC warrants a ranking. Look at RPI. That's what really matters. Brady's team made it to the sweet 16 a couple of years ago...dude.

7. Tigersmack

Whatever dude.....

second final four was a fluke? How many fluke final fours has Brady been to? When he goes to two "fluke" final fours I'll shutup and cut the guy a break. Until then, he needs to shut his dumbass mouth and coach and stop whining about everything except his horrible attitude.

And Brown wasn't waxed in the first round every other year bro. One time when we lost to Navy and David Robinson and once to Dayton I think. On top of all of that, the 80s and early 90s was the golden era of SEC basketball. The quality since then has dwindled tremendously in the SEC except for Kentucky and Florida. And everytime we play Florida we lose by 30.

OK, one sweet 16....yippeee........what about his other 6 years here man? Smell what you shoveling........

8. Tigersmack

Oh....

and RPI really matters? That's why the RPI rankings are shown in the paper and on ESPN. RPI doesn't mean crap when you can't score against a weak zone which in turn gets you booted in the 1st round.

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

Re: We had a couple from GA

you might be right. i think we'll know more within the next few years because he should be able to get a lot of players in consistently. i hope his style changes a bit when he gets more players. we havent had good guards in a long time---as far as im concerned it was livingston.

rpi is the most important because its the biggest factor in the selection committee's decision. we are not ranked because we should not be---we havent beaten a good team yet. uab, bama and utah are ok but the ranked teams have marquee wins. we havent had many chances though, lost to msu and usc--thats it. as ive been saying the last few days, the rubber is about to meet the road. we must win 2 of 3 against miss, aub and atleast one of the others. i cant wait for saturday. please, someone tell me we will play well. please!

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

Re: Whatever dude.....

let's see...89 lost to utep
    90 lost to georgia tech (second rd, but damn good job dale---blows a big lead with great talent just because he wouldnt guard dennis scott)
    91 lost to uconn (i admit, i dont remember this one)
    92 lost to indiana (2nd rd, but, again, good job dale---blows big lead with great talent because he wouldnt guard calbert chaney)
    93 lost to cal (again, damn, let jason kidd drive all the way down the court to win game).

at least it took some nobody to have the game of his life to beat lsu last year, and lsu had little talent.

personally, i'd rather lose with a team with average talent than with underachievers. give brady a few years and we'll see what he can do with talent