LSU Basketball

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tygertail, Feb 10, 2004.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Re: Oh....

This post shows that you have no clue.

2. SabanFan

Re: Re: We had a couple from GA

You're waffling Gumborue. You are setting us up for your being able to join the bashers after we lose a couple. Take a stance.

3. roygu

roygu Founding Member

In a couple of years the Brady Bahsers will change their board names and swear they were fans from the start. LOL
    The problem with the early recruits is this. You don't start recruiting super athletes once they become seniors. The basketball powers start recruiting kids by the time they reach HS. They recruit many of these kids for four years. When Brady came aboard, he not only lost most of the team but he had to take some questionable guys just to field a team the first year. Then he was fortunate to get Stromile and a couple of JCs that could play. Then the NCAA slamed us. We could only have a maximum of eleven on scholarship and if some left early for the NBA, Stromile; were injured, Roland; flunked out, Young; or transferred Cooper and Omar Soli Mance, we were not allowed replace those guys. In additon we were not allowed to have but two recruits visit each year.
    How can you recruit top players if you can't have them visit. That is the reason we took Young and a couple other suspects. He had to be sure they would sign before we offered a visit. The same with Kedric Brown, the JCplayer from Florida . He recruited Brown out of Zachary HS before he went to JC and knew there was some interest. How could Brady predict that the NBA would, for the first time in history, pick a JC player as a lottery choice.
    Cooper and Mance transferred probably because Brady was so demanding. As Freshmen they were not ready for SEC competition. Toward the end of the season they both had shown improvement. Unfortunately Cooper transferred to South Florida and Mance went to Rice. Coopers team made it to the tournament a couple years later.
    I think the response by Cooper and Mance may be the reason that Brady has calmed down some this year. He realizes that freshmen have enough pressure without the Coach adding more.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

This last post was very good and sheds much light on the basketball program. Firs toff, the NCAA slammed LSU much harder than they should have, much harder than most scholls would have been due to hating Dale Brown so much. He had comlained about the NCAA's so much and flaunted the loopholes in their rules repeatedly, such as hiring a recruits dad to be an assistant, and they just couldn't stand him.

Second, Brady was hamstrung greatly due to those sanctions an unprecedented amount. Other schools did much worse things and received the loss of a few schollie's, a lot less restrictions on visits etc.

Third, it also focuses attention on the transfers. Brady has had more kids transfet out then any coach I've ever seen. Hopefully he has learned his lesson but losing a couple this year again shows me that he hasn't. He hasn't managed the program very well and he needs to adjust or he will continue to lose the players that are the main reason a team can get deep into the tournaments, depth.

5. SabanFan

That attitude is one of the main reasons the NBA is dying a slow death. Brady demands that his team realize that he is the coach and they are the players. It's not a democracy. Brady's style of play (tough defense) demands discipline not just during games but at practice and some of these spoiled hot shots can't take it. Aside from sideline profanity (and as far as I'm concerned, that's hearsay because I've never personally heard any) I'll take Brady's style of coaching any day. And, not one of us here knows what goes on behind the scenes, in the locker room, etc. and should not draw conclusions about people unless they are privy to all of the facts.

6. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Brady and Saban try to recruit the same type of player. I heard Saban comment on the reason that Landry became a starter at Safety this year. Saban said "Landry is the type person, when he makes a mistake and you get on him heavy, he just says yeah, yeah lets run the next play. He doesn't sulk and get his feelings hurt". He just tries to improve. Brady has said the same thing about the type player he recruits. He mentioned Torris Bright as being the same type player as Landry.
    Unfortunately you never know if they can take it until they get on campus. Whereas Saban has recruited 25+ almost every year and through attrition he stays under the 85 limit, Brady due to restrictions and attrition cannot get up to his limit of 13. There was no reason that Gipson would not get all the playing time, this year, that he needed, but like so many young athletes he was not satisfied. Unlike Alexander, who waited his turn to be a linebacker on a National Championship team, Gipson wanted instant gratification. He, by staying at LSU, "was hampering his chances to play on the next level". Ironically, by staying at LSU, Alexander improved his chances of playing at the next level.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

While I agree that all players must abide by team rules, that all players should be patiient, etc. I am just looking at the situation at many other D-1 schools and especially ones with very good coaches that are also task masters and they do not have near the number of transfers as LSU does over the past several years, so it's either Brady or the recruits, probably a little of both and Brady is in charge of both the recruiting and his personality, etc. so agian hopefully something will be changed so that we don't keep losing players. and I also offer this, perception is reality and I am sure other coaches use the fact that we have so many transfers as a recruiting tool against us. when 1 or 2 transfer out you can chalk it up to a myriad of reasons but when they have numerous kids leaving it will become a negative I'm sure.

8. roygu

roygu Founding Member

I don't know of any recruit that has left that would have changed a seasons outcome but it would be interesting to know the true reasons they left. Gipson probably would have been a help this year but his actions indicate that he was not a player we could depend on. After the athletic department tutored him last year to get him eligible, he thumbs his nose and says see you later. I remember hearing Coach Brady say that he urged Soli Mance to stay for his sophomore year but Mance was determined to go to Rice. Mance was quoted as saying that fans in the SEC put too much emphasis on sports. He was a good student, so maybe he wanted to devote more time to his studies and was not willing to make the commitment to basketball and its demands, in the SEC. If I remember correctly, the year after Mance and Cooper transferred was the year that we dropped down to about five healthy scholarship athletes, partly due to injuries, so maybe they could have made a difference.
    We are not the only program that suffers from transfers. I remember the year that Tubby took Ky to the championship, the starting center, the following year, left and went back to California. Duke lost a big 6'11 player this year, either a Soph or Jr. I'm sure it wasn't from lack of talent. LOL Duke never has a lack of talent.
    I noticed that during the Florida game they gave a statistic on TV indicating that Florida had nine Freshmen and Sophomore on the team. Don't know how that is possible with the eight man rule. Maybe they mis-spoke but if that is true, Donavan must have had several leave early for some reason.

9. OklahomaTiger

OklahomaTiger Founding Member

Everybody, listen to roygu who knows more about LSU basketball in his pinkie than the Brady Bashers know period. Omar Seli Mance? Damn! I remember in the 1998-1999 season when it was him, Darryl Cooper and Jamall Wolfe, all alternating at starting the pg during the season. I thought Seli Mance was the best of the three, but he was a little too gun-shy.

And aside from the Elite 8 and Two Final Fours in the 1980s, which is excellent nonetheless, the rest of the years were mediocre to say the least.
    1982 - first round NIT loss to Tulame
    1983 - first round NIT loss to UNO (no, these aren't typos)
    1984 - first round NCAA loss to Dayton
    1985 - first round NCAA loss to Navy
    1988 - first round NCAA loss to Georgetown
    1989 - first round NCAA loss to UTEP

Great job! That was golden! IMO, Brady will get us to a Final Four in the next 4 years. And we will consistently be one of the top three or four teams in the SEC and will make noise in the NCAA tourney on a regular basis. If not, pass the tabasco for my crow.

10. Tigersmack

Tigersmack Founding Member

We'll see.......

I don't consider myself a Brady Basher. A Brady Basher is someone who doesn't go to the games and just sits home and complains. We're 16-4 and that's cool.

My point is though, that through the 7 years of the Brady regime I personally have come to really dislike the guy........his style of play, his attitude, his smart-ass comments to everything. When he was on Buddy's show this week at lunch, I heard everything that I hate about the guy. Does that mean I don't support him and his team? No, I go the games, most of them and I obviously cheer for the Tigers.

It's just that it pains me to watch us through the ball around a zone like we have nevers een it before and I can tell by watching this team, and previous teams of Brady's, that they are afraid to pull the trigger for whatever reason. It may be the lunatic down on the bench throwing out f-bombs every 2 seconds....it may not be.

To me though, it's not exactly like Dinardo or Hallman but many of these people who come on here and defend Brady or his 16-4 record are many of the same people who were crying to give DiNardo another year....it's always wait till the sanctions are up, wait till the arena is fixed....how can he recruit with that arena?....crap like that. I don't know how many posts I see, just in this string that have somewhere in them....give him another couple years.........I want a coach that I don't have to say wait till next year about.

I understand basketball....I played more basketball in my life than football.......but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know why the arena is half empty when his team is 16-4 does it?

People are not going to fill that place when we beat a poor Ole Miss team by 3 (or lose to them) and turn the ball over 22 times while shooting 29 percent from the floor and 42% from the line. If I want to watch something ugly I'll watch reruns of the Rosie show.......yeah they win and good for Brady.

These guys should not be winning or losing games that are in the 50's. IMO, these guys ought to be runnign the ball...especially when you have such poor play, but improved I'll admit, against a zone and such poor outside shooting.

OK? I won't change my post name and I'll continue posting. I've been saying the same thing for 5 years now.....giving out our 1 scholarship to a guy that's ineligible started my tirades.

Anyway.......here's to Brady and his outstanding smart-ass comments.