LSU Basketball

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tiger in NC, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Not much reported around here since Will Wade has taken over as Basketball coach but it's definitely worth mentioning. I was highly impressed with Wade during his introductory press conference and I think he is just what we've been needing to take our basketball program to the next level. LSU will always be a football school but being in the tournament or even the Sweet 16 perennially is something I believe we can achieve. Just take a look at the differences in the roster from last year to this year:

2006-17
    G - Brandon Sampson - SO (6-5, 193)
    G - Antonio Blakeney - SO (6-4, 197)
    G - Skylar Mays - FR (6-4, 205)
    G - Keiran Heyward - FR (6-4, 195)
    G - Brandon Jenkins - JR (6-4, 180)
    G - Jalyn Patterson - JR (6-1, 191)
    F - Duop Reath - JR (6-10, 235)
    F - Wayde Sims - FR (6-6, 222)
    F - Aaron Epps - JR (6-10, 220)
    C - Elbert Robinson III - JR (7-1, 290)
    Incoming Recruits: F - Galen Alexander (6-6, 215), G - Brandon Rachel (6-6, 190)

2017-18
    G - Brandon Sampson - JR (6-5, 193)
    G - Skylar Mays - SO (6-4, 205)
    G - Jalyn Patterson - SR (6-1, 191)
    G - Daryl Edwards - JR (6-4, 170)
    G - Brandon Rachel - FR (6-6, 190)
    G - Tremont Waters _FR (5-11, 185) *Still awaiting news but he seems to be leaning toward us. Was recruited by Duke, Georgetown, Connecticut
    F - Duop Reath - SR (6-10, 235)
    F - Aaron Epps - SR (6-10, 225)
    F - Wayde Sims - SO (6-6, 222)
    F - Galen Alexander - FR (6-6, 215)
    F - Jeremy Combs - GR (6-7, 215)
    F - Mayan Kir - FR (6-10, 220)
    C - Elbert Robinson III - SR (7-1, 290)

For one this is a far more balanced roster whereas last year we played with only 3 real big men. Sims was asked to play the 4 at times but at 6-6 he just isn't cut out to be a PF. Further, take a look at the list of players who are currently looking hard at us for next year's recruiting class:

G - Ja'Vonte Smart (6-4, 185) 5-star Local kid, was a KY lean until Wade showed up. Now seems to be a lean to us.
    SF - Khavon Moore (6-8, 187) 5-star Macon, GA
    PF - Emmitt Williams (6-8, 220) 5-star IMG, FL
    PF - Nazreon Reid (6-9, 200) 5-star Roselle, NJ
    C - Javian Fleming (6-9, 230) 3-star Clinton, MS

I am really excited about the product Wade will floor this fall. It's been a long time since we had something to cheer about during basketball season and I'm ready for it. This is the most excited I've been about LSU basketball in a decade or so with the exception of a season here and there. What you guys think?

2. Brian

Brian Founding Member

I think the key will be recruiting because I firmly expect Wade to be able to coach up the kids he gets. If he's able to recruit some talent he can enhance I think we can be like Texas a decade ago was under Barnes.

lsu-i-like and Tiger in NC like this.
  3. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

This is how I felt when JJ got the job. He put together a few potentially good teams, they just kept goin pro. Couldn't keep a squad intact.

I hope you are right though...

4. Tiger in NC

Same here. I had high hopes for Jones when he came in also but he didn't have the charisma for the game nor the technical expertise imo to be a major college coach. He recruited well but that is only half the equation. We'll see what Wade puts on the floor but I expect to be a better brand than what we've become accustomed to.

Brian and lsu-i-like like this.
  5. Tiger in NC

I agree and am hoping for the same. I'll will be very interested to see what he does on his first entire year of recruiting.

Brian likes this.
  6. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

Im really excited about what World Wide Wade is doing so far! And to be fair I was also pretty excited a few months into JJ's tenure also but you can see differences. I saw in article a few weeks back and it talked about how during the first team meeting half the players were wearing LSU gear and WWW's response was, no wonder we kicked yall's ass last year. I saw a clip of WWW at a press confrence while at VCU and he told the press if his players didn't wear VCU gear on game day there

7. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

LSU stole a Georgetown commit, 4 star point guard Tremont Waters. It seems that between the transfers and the kids he is signing, his team is starting to shape up the way he wants.

lsu-i-like and Tiger in NC like this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What difference does it make what they wear as long as they wear their uniforms on game day?

9. Tiger in NC

Wade is trying to create a team culture, something that has been sorely lacking over the past decade. Wearing team gear is a little thing but it's the little things that win championships. It's attention to detail and buying into the mind set that Wade is presenting. Until he proves otherwise, I like the guy and will drink the kool aid.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I like the guy so far but then I liked it when Curley Hallman said he was going to make his players pack up their earrings and send them home to their mama's. We all know how that turned out.