LSU chances at getting in NCAA Tournament.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by gumborue, Feb 23, 2004.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

recently updated sportsillustrated bracket projections

Big Surprise! Si.com has LSU as a 5 seed. Our RPI dropped from 14 to 25!

How 'bout this scenario: Lloreda doesn't play and LSU loses the last four games. We go into the SEC Tournament without a bye and win one game. Do we get in? I think we might. If we win two in this scenario I think we're in. The committee considers injuries and will allow us those losses if we comeback and show that lloreda is healthy and can win.

2. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I think if we can get to 8-8 in the league we will be in. I doubt that we'll be a 5 seed at 8-8 but we will definitely be in the tourney. I'd much rather go in with a lesser record and a healthy Lloreda than a better record and banged up Lloreda.

3. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

I still think there is a chance to go 9-7. Ole Miss and AU are both beatable. Just depends on Jaime and Regis' health. Jaime will be touch and go for the rest of the year. One bad step and he could wreck his ankle again. With good treatment, Regis should be back at 90+% and improving with additional treatment.

9-7 assures us a berth and maybe a 6 seed. 8-8 would likely be a 7 or 8 seed, and still leave us in decent shape. The SEC tourney could have an impact if we lose the opener. I think we need to win at least one in the SEC tourney.

4. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

I agree captain, we'll get in if we dont get knocked out the 1st Rd in the SEC Tourney. If that happens we probably deserve NIT anyway.

5. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

But, chances are that LSU will have a 1st round bye in the SEC tourney. We are 2 games up on Alabama with 4 to go. If we win 1 game, then Alabama must win all 4 games to jump over us in the standings. If they win 3 of 4 then we'll be tied but LSU took both games from them this year so we would get the tiebraker and therefore the first round bye in the SEC tourney.

This could be very large as I surely don't want to see Jaime playing multiple games in consecutive games for more than necessary. In fact, in LSU gets a bye and then wins it's first game in the SEC I would rather see Jaime sit out the semifinal than risk an injury. We would be secure in our NCAA bid and saving him for the more important tourney would be a priority in my mind.

6. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Joe Lunardi on ESPN.com has LSU at a #7 seed. I think he is probably a little better than the people at SI.com. He has been doing this for years and always seems to be pretty accurate. An interesting stat is that LSU is #10 against the RPI Top 100.

QUALITY WINS
    (vs. RPI 1-25) Alabama, at Alabama, at Florida
    (vs. RPI 26-50) Utah, N-UAB, Georgia

BAD LOSSES
    (vs. RPI 101-200) at Houston
    (vs. 200 or below) NONE

WHY SEEDED HERE
    InsideRPI No. 26; NonConf RPI No. 27.
    5-5 in last 10 games.

MAY DROP BECAUSE
    Coming week is even harder (at MissSt, vs. Kentucky).
    NonConf SOS No. 132.

QUALITY WINS
    (vs. RPI Top 100)
    Saint Joseph's (15-0)
    Duke (14-3)
    Kentucky (14-4)
    Stanford (12-0)
    Mississippi State (12-2)
    North Carolina State (12-6)
    Georgia Tech (12-7)
    Pittsburgh (11-2)
    Providence (11-4)
    LSU (11-5)
    Wake Forest (11-6)
    Connecticut (10-5)
    South Carolina (10-6)
    Florida (10-8)

CONFERENCE BREAKDOWN
    (Multiple-bid conferences)
    SEC (8)
    ACC (6)
    Big East (6)
    Big Ten (5)
    Big XII (5)
    Conference USA (5)
    Atlantic 10 (3)
    MAC (2)
    Mountain West (2)
    Pac-10 (2)

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I don't know what all of these numbers mean but if we lose 4 in a row I would be shocked if we got in, no teams would deserve to be in if they lost 4 in a row to end the regular season.

8. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Well, my office adopted the Friday afternoons off a few months ago and I think I'll take Thursday, March 18th off so I can watch LSU in case they're scheduled during the day. Even if they play at night (or don't make it at all) that first weekend of the tourney is always great. It's so much fun to pull for the upsets that you picked.

Right now, I'm pulling for all of the favorites to win their final few games so that LSU will have more clout over all of the other bubble teams. But when the tourney starts, I just love pulling for the little guys to beat Duke (or whoever).

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

That's why.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

jerry palm (from collegerpi.com) has lsu as a #6 seed. this guy is always right on with his predictions of the bracket, but obviously it is early.

considering lsu's rpi, and their opportunities for real quality wins coming up, i think it would take a serious miracle for them not to be in. they are in.