LSU/Charles Scott

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Oct 24, 2009.

1. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

Lucky you were not here before the start of the year, you would have been called an "idiot" for saying what you are saying now. I love this forum.

The Scott up the middle play has been mostly over since the 4th game last year... it was delusional fans that kept alive the idea that play was actually being successful. Next week it might work a little since they play what Tulane and all the delusional types will jump back on the bandwagon.

Scott is a FB, he is FB that can run against a few unpowered teams in the front line... the rest is not going to work. I actually thought he was doing good against Florida, I have no idea why they abandon it against Florida.... they were getting about 4 yards a carry. There is opportunity for Scott but game in and game out that is not going to work.

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

It's not the RB's, it's the OL. The smaller quicker OL is good at pass blocking, but they get blown off the ball run blocking. Look for Miles to ask them to beef up in the off season. It looks like we will have to rely heavy on the pass if we want to win games this season.

1 person likes this.
  3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Since you didn't join until July of 2009, you couldn't have. But it sounds like you. Is there one damn thing that you like about this LSU team? Anything at all?

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Well then learn to run block like the Denver Broncos. They are smaller than the LSU line.

Whether the O-line was blocking well or not, it's apparent Scott isn't as strong or as quick as last season. Couple that with a failed blocking scheme/poor execution by the line, and you have what you have.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Only if he were actually an idiot.

6. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Right. SIU's posts are usually negative, and Skippy's post above make it sound like we lost. Guys, we played our most complete game on both sides of the ball last night. Did we play a team building and mistake-prone last night? Yes, but we handled them better than we have handled other lesser teams this season. Did we make mistakes last night? Yes, just like every team, every week. The key is we played hard, we executed, and we overcame whatever mistakes we did make. We are 6-1, in the top 10, and will be competing for SEC and BCS championships.

Its fine to be critical about areas that need improvement, but would hold more credibility if it is done without losing focus of the positives and maintaining the forest through the trees.

7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Scott is like a train, he needs to get up to speed before he plows people. Right now the backs are getting hit at the line of scrimmage or before. Even the much quicker Holliday and Sheppard got nothing until Shep finally found a small crease and busted one. With the way the line is blocking you just aren't going to see a consistent running game. The coaching staff may have to do some things that work like runs but aren't. The pass the the RB early was a really nice play. Maybe a shuffle pass or two would work also.

8. red55

Scott and Williams have proved that they can run, but there hasn't been a fullback yet that can block effectively and the OL still isn't opening enough holes to run through.

9. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

This is the one thing that puzzled me this game. The way LSU was passing I felt sure that it would open up the run. Heck, I felt LSU would run to set up the pass. I know you can play with stats all day, but except for the RS run AU held LSU to 53 yds on 31 carries, 1.7 ypc. Take away JJ's TD run and it is 38 yds on 30 carries, a 1.26 ypc avg. I thought the base outside of the big plays would be at least 3 ypc. I have no answers, just an observation.

10. red55

And half of that was Jefferson running . . .

Scott and Williams were completely ineffective. This is not good.