LSU/Charles Scott

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

islstl mentioned Scott not seeming as strong. I know the numbers would not be good, but does anyone have the yac figures?

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

It's not good but it's not as bad as it seemed in previous games. That's because I think the coaching staff finally figured out that we are going to have to be a passing team this year. I really liked the quick 3 step drops and high percentage passes early to get JJ and the offense in a rhythm. It actually looked like the offense had an identity last night and found something they could hang their hat on. There is still plenty of work to do and finding some sort of running game is part of it, but at least they now have a foundation that they can build on.

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Last year with Herman Johnson our OL was geared for the power running game & we had the RB (Scott) to run it.

This year, it appears our OL is transitioning to be better suited for a "scat"-type back. However, we don't have that type of back & our OL isn't taking to it very well.

4. TwistedTiger

Even a scat back needs a little hole. Not sure what the fix is, but the run blocking needs to improve. I kept saying the whole game that the efficient passing attack was really going to open up the running game, but it just never happened. Hopefully the passing game will carry us until the OL can get their mojo going and start opening some holes for our wagon load of backs.

5. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

Not true. There was plenty of good stuff last night, you skip over those comments because you are delusional fan.

Tolliver continues to impress me, Coleman was all over the field, and the catch by Randle was pretty special. I thought the team played hard like they do every week.

Just don't cover up crap with chocolate and tell me it's candy. I don't tell me the Scott up the middle play is going to work game in and game out especially in the SEC especially since I have seen it's non-effectiveness for 2 years now. It was obvious it wasn't going to work middle of last year, I feel silly for having to point out the obvious.

6. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

The defense is playing the middle RB run when Scott is in the game. If he had quickness and vision to bounce it outside he would be getting huge runs. He likes to run up the back of the center, unless the center blows out like 2 guys by himself when Scott is in the game, the chances of great success with scott's ability is limited.

7. TwistedTiger

So why isn't KW busting big runs to the outside?

8. Jopry

Jopry Veteran Member

Because, just like you and Red55 said, the problem is not with the running backs, but rather with the Oline failing to open up holes. This was the same problem with JJ and the passing game the last few weeks, but the OLine blocked much better last night (the three step drops and rollout plays also helped). The FB situation doesn't seem to help the running game any, but this very difficult to judge as LSU so seldom runs formations with a FB in them. Until the line learns to block as a unified group with the run (like they seem to have for the pass in the Auburn game), LSU will fail to establish a consistent running game. Attacking Charles Scott, who is a solid running back and will play in the pros, will not accomplish anything.

2 people like this.
  9. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

No, it's not because we're all delusional fans. You're perceived as negative because you have created a negative persona for yourself on this board. Just be polite and perhaps you'll be seen as less negative.

I'll await your rude response to my suggestion...

10. TwistedTiger

I misunderstood and thought you were saying Scott was the problem.