LSU/Charles Scott

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Oct 24, 2009.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Actually, it would be. Bad candy, but candy just the same.

1 person likes this.
  2. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

First time poster NAILS it!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

We stunk on "running" plays last night. It had NOTHING to do with the running backs. It was the blocking. I am sorry, but without that one big run by RS, I think that he pretty well stunk it up and would not have seen the field again this season in the manner he was used last night. He saved his future playing time big time with the big break away run. Other than that big break away, he looked like any of the other talented backs with have without a hole to run in. A thread dumping on Charles Scott shows a real lack of football knowledge that I would not expect from this board.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

They actually improved during the game. On play #2 when Shepard went in as running back, they ran the off-guard left play, Dworazchik missed a difficult downfield block on a linebacker and Shepard was stopped cold.

Shepard went in again in the second half and they ran the same play to the same side. Hebert posted up the tackle, Shaw took the defensive end outside of the play, Dworassic nailed the downfield block and Jefferson ran untouched for a 69 yard TD.

4. NELA_Tigerfan

NELA_Tigerfan When's kickoff?

Let me say, I wasn't "dumping on" C Scott. I just think he would make a better fullback at the next level; and I think with our O-line not making big holes the quick shifty guys might be the answer for a running game.

5. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

1. Big Herman and Brett Helms not easy to replace.
    2. Quinn Johnson was a battering ram last year.
    3. Teams still don't respect JJ's ability to see open receivers and get the ball to them IN TIME.

8 vs 6 is not a fair fight up front.

Folks want to blame Scott. The problem is Jefferson's yards-per-completion and the O-line's lack of dominance.

1 person likes this.
  6. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Longer correction in the Negative Nancy thread, but I went back and rewatched JJ's passes. He actually did a lot better than my initial impression. Teams are stacking the box to stuff the run, but they're doing it based on formation (Power I) and personnel packages.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

But you would agree there comes a time you stop banging your head against the wall and decide to do something different correct?

You don't just say "oh well, in theory this should be working so we'll keep trying it".

There does come a point of over saturation of ineptitude if I'm not mistaken. That running play has worn out it's welcome some 4 games ago.

8. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

I dont think there is anything wrong with Scott or Williams. Those are two damn good backs. Even Barry Sanders couldnt run behind this OL. This is as a horrible a run blockin line as Ive ever. They did pass block well which was needed. Outside of the Shepard run there was zero holes. Ive been wanting to see more spread and movement to help out. I love the more aggressive approach but the running will have to improve some to beat a really good team.

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

So you're ok with running into the middle of the line with no chance at success?

I mean, last time I've checked, the Bama, Ole Miss and Florida D is a little bit better than the Auburn D.

It's time to abandon the play altogether. I mean, call that play 0 times vs Bama.

Zero times.

The play I would like to see Scott and LSU excel at is Scott at FB with Jefferson at QB and either Shepard or Holliday at RB and run the option in which the first option is to either give to or fake to Scott with a quick hitter. That would work. You don't need much of a hole and it doesn't have to stay open but for a split seconds. It would work. It would work tremendously, in fact.

10. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

Im not at all saying that I want to keep pounding it up the middle when it doesnt work. Ive been saying similar things to what you have the last few weeks. As I mentioned I would like to see more of a spread option type of attack. To keep the D off balance and more honest. I do agree that we have to throw more. Which is I was so excited about last nights game. They finally let JJ go out and actually throw the damn ball. He was handcuffed. Plus the OL did pass block well.

Lets be honest here, you have to run the ball in the SEC. I prefer a passing attack myself, but running is an intrical part of football. Especially in the SEC with all the great athletes on the DL. I think Shepard is the best guy to have at RB. He brings the best combo of speeds and moves. Holiday has the speed but lacks the moves. The coaches have to come up with something different here to bring some sort of a run game for the Bama game. Because with the extra week you better believe they will be ready.

Im very happy where LSU is right now. JJ looked great. It was the by far the best overall game by LSU. For the first time all season LSU looked like a really good team. Its a work in progress but the team is coming together. We just have to sure up the OL.